Marking unopened email as Junk or Spam in Mac Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I feel surely that I am overlooking something very obvious. I use Mac Mail and I like it very much. Recently my very personal email account that I use for immediate family, relatives, and very close friends has begun receiving spam and junk emails. Evidently some of my emails have been forwarded in mass and this email address has gotten out. How can I mark these as spam or junk without opening them first? The "Not Junk" button is all I can find. Some of them are quite obvious, but then there have been a couple I really wish I could know for sure before I just delete/trash them unopened. Can the spam/junk email sender be alerted that I have opened one of their emails even if I don't click on any links? It has not become such a super problem that I would consider creating a new account...but for years it was spam/junk free.

Also, does Mac Mail "learn" over time about what I consider junk and spam email?

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Drag said email directly to the junk folder.

And yes, it learns.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thanks chas_m. I don't have a Junk folder in my sidebar. Where do I find it or how do I create one? I have looked and tried to do this.

C

chas_m

Can the spam/junk email sender be alerted that I have opened one of their emails even if I don't click on any links?

Yes. Most spam have invisible "spacer.gif" graphics that call back to the home server with your IP address.

As for how to add a junk folder to your Mail:

Mail-Junk.png

When you first create the Junk folder, choose the first option under "when junk mail arrives." Then about a week later or so, change to the second option. This gives the filter time to learn from you what is and isn't junk.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I need help with something else in Mail. I made the changes in the post above to handle junk email. Without making any other changes, Mail has suddenly begun showing emails with an opened view instead of just a list. Also, my signatures have disappeared. OK. I can easily re-do signatures for all 3 accounts...no biggie. But as I "arrow" through my list of new mail, I really dislike the body of an email opening automatically before I have the chance to make a decision on whether to open it, trash/junk it before clicking on it to open upon my decision as to how to handle that particular email. Can anybody help me with this? Seriously, all I did was configure the Junk part of Mail preferences and made no other changes. Why would Mail suddenly start doing this?...delete signatures and showing new emails opened. Again, I made no other changes other than Junk mail preferences. As chase_m stated..."Most spam have invisible "spacer.gif" graphics that call back to the home server with your IP address." I don't want them to have the pleasure of knowing their email spam was acknowledged.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done a little homework and I have found that the issues I had in my previous post do not apply to my Mac Mail configured the same way in Snow Leopard. The changes I mentioned above only happened when I made the Junk email changes while booted in Mavericks. When I made the exact same Preferences configurations in Snow Leopard, I did not lose my signatures nor did the "view" of the emails change. They do not show the body content of the email until I double click on the email to open it although I have basically the same set up. I have also noticed that the Menu items under VIEW are not the same between OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.9.2. I wish I could have the best of both worlds. I also wish peace and good will towards men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.