• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Slim 12" MacBook and MacBook Air Updates Soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Just seen this post come across my feed over on Mac Rumors..
New Slim 12" MacBook and MacBook Air Updates Soon - Mac Rumors

Seems that new 12 inch Mac Book Air will support Retina display..

I just hope it comes with reading glasses, the smaller screens Apple keeps sticking us with is driving me crazy. I honestly shed a tear when they dropped the 17" MBP line..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Beat me too it :p

Not sure if I'm keen on this. Wonder what the cooling system is ??

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just hope it comes with reading glasses, the smaller screens Apple keeps sticking us with is driving me crazy. I honestly shed a tear when they dropped the 17" MBP line..

Don't shed too many tears. 1920 x 1080 on a 17" display is pretty tiny too (last 17" MBP's).;) 1680 x 1050 was better (earlier 17" MBP's).:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, you can tell who the "middle age" folks are when you see complaints about the high resolutions Apple is using. My 27" iMac is 2560 x 1440 which is pretty high for an old fella like me, but sure is nice when I can display 3 pages of a Word document on the screen at the same time to edit. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure if I'm keen on this. Wonder what the cooling system is ??

Probably a massive heat sink if the rumor is true. However, I doubt that it would have no fan since you couldn't move the warm air out and draw in cool air. Unless of course the case is made like swiss cheese! :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, you can tell who the "middle age" folks are when you see complaints about the high resolutions Apple is using. My 27" iMac is 2560 x 1440 which is pretty high for an old fella like me, but sure is nice when I can display 3 pages of a Word document on the screen at the same time to edit. :)

Very true Charlie…very true!;)

I'm not exactly sure of the actual physical size of the text (pixels)…but I find the text size easier to read on my 27" iMac (2560 x 1440) than the text on my 17" MBP (1920 x 1080). Both computers at their native resolutions of course.:)

Either way…the reading glasses are necessary!:(

- Nick

C

chas_m

A few things:

1. This is a rumor, not a report. It may not be true. In fact, there's a good chance its not -- rumors sites I've been tracking for two decades now have around a 50 percent accuracy rate. It would make a certain amount of sense for Apple to make only one MBA model, but the "11-inch" model is actually 11.6 inches, so this would be an unnoticeable change (apart from the Retina quality) for most MBA owners. Under this scenario I guess they'd drop the 13-inch model and leave that to the MBP line. Still more of an educated guess than a real insight IMO.

2. A Retina Display does not change the size of ANYTHING compared to a non-Retina display, it just doubles the pixels so that what is displayed is CLEARER and SHARPER. Don't take my word for it, go to a dealer and compare them side-by-side.

Yog

Reaction score
MBA 17 inch

MBA 17 inch is what I need desperately...! (Obviously retina display and as much powerful hardware as Apple could offer)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
MBA 17 inch is what I need desperately...! (Obviously retina display and as much powerful hardware as Apple could offer)

Hear-hear!

I do hope Apple brings back MBP17 with Retina display, even though mine doesn't feel dated at all ... yet. All that space inside wasted by SATA could house 32GB of RAM and 4TB of flash storage ... mmmm :$

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to think that a fully loaded MBP 17" machine with a retina display would easily cost over $3000. Are you ready to pay that much for a notebook computer even if it's a Mac? However, I don't believe Apple will bring back the 17" model. The trend in notebook computers for all manufacturers is to keep them small and light weight.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You have to think that a fully loaded MBP 17" machine with a retina display would easily cost over $3000. Are you ready to pay that much for a notebook computer even if it's a Mac? However, I don't believe Apple will bring back the 17" model. The trend in notebook computers for all manufacturers is to keep them small and light weight.

Have to agree there. Other than the increased horsepower of a new machine I wouldn't jump at a new machine based on screen size. I use my MP Pro primarily as a desktop machine with a second monitor attached so the extra size doesn't really help there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
You have to think that a fully loaded MBP 17" machine with a retina display would easily cost over $3000. Are you ready to pay that much for a notebook computer even if it's a Mac?

Actually, yes I am. I've been using 17" laptops for over 12 years now, and really don't want to change - it suits me perfectly. I haven't had a desktop for almost as long... If I can have an option to buy a built to order, state-of the-art 17" MBP every three years or so, I'd pay $5,000 for it, never mind $3,000: my current one wasn't much cheaper than that in September 2010, plus all the upgrades - it's most likely well over 5 grand by now anyway ...

However, I don't believe Apple will bring back the 17" model.

I'm afraid, you're right - and that means I have to re-think my setup, most likely 27" iMac and 15" MBP ... I don't like changes :Oops:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17•David;1576588 said:
I'm afraid, you're right - and that means I have to re-think my setup, most likely 27" iMac and 15" MBP ... I don't like changes :Oops:

Probably the closest setup to what you have now...is a 15" MBP & a large (24"-27") external monitor (for when you are at home at a desktop).:) This would be MUCH less expensive than a new 15" MBP AND a 27" iMac.

- Nick

Yog

Reaction score
I love the screen size of my MBP 17 but I hate the weight it carries. Therefore would love to have 17 inch Macbook Air. Though I love my MBA 11-inch for ultra portability but it lacks screen size I want.

....you can't always get what you want....

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love the screen size of my MBP 17 but I hate the weight it carries. Therefore would love to have 17 inch Macbook Air. Though I love my MBA 11-inch for ultra portability but it lacks screen size I want.

....you can't always get what you want....

Sounds like you want a 17" display…with the weight of an 11" MBA!:)

At least you don't want the near impossible…a 17" display with the footprint of an 11" MBA.;) I say "near impossible"…since if they ever came out with a foldable display…this would be possible.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sounds like you want a 17" display…with the weight of an 11" MBA!:)

At least you don't want the near impossible…a 17" display with the footprint of an 11" MBA.;) I say "near impossible"…since if they ever came out with a foldable display…this would be possible.:)

- Nick
I thought you were in charge of getting that project off the ground? If you're not quit slacking and get back to work on the perpetual motion machine. :Mischievous:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought you were in charge of getting that project off the ground? If you're not quit slacking and get back to work on the perpetual motion machine. :Mischievous:

Yeah…I'm a slacker!;) I started this project a couple years ago…but then I found out no one else was working on it. So I "shelved" the project (figuring I had time to work on it & per-fect it). Then I'd launch it…get rich…and retire!;);)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many years ago I've had a misfortune of owning a horrible contraption of a laptop, with a slide out extra screen. The thing had a unique ability to crash RHL, every time I touched the flimsy extra screen :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.