File Transfer

Reaction score
I've been a WindowsUser from its inception. However, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an iMac desktop; is there a 'best' way to transfer all my Office files onto the Mac, to include new descriptive file folders? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been a WindowsUser from its inception. However, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an iMac desktop; is there a 'best' way to transfer all my Office files onto the Mac, to include new descriptive file folders? Thanks.

Use the Windows Migration Assistant a free download from Apple: LINK Read directions carefully and do not create an account on your new Mac until AFTER you migrate.

C

chas_m

Also, if you feel that you need Office for your Mac, they make both a "normal" (perpetual license) version (about to be upgraded later this year) and a "subscription" Office 365 version that will open all your migrated Office files. You might also explore whether you could get along with the free (to you) "iWork Suite" consisting of Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

There are also other free options such as Libre Office. Whatever choice you make, there will be some differences you will need to adjust to, but they should be fairly minor. Congrats on the new iMac!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.