Upgrading to Mavericks

Reaction score
I have a iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard with Time Machine activated. I think I ought to upgrade to Mavericks. I've looked in the forums to see if there might be problems with the upgrade but there doesn't seem to be much discussion at all.

Is it really that easy? Is this likely to be a positive experience? I realise that I may need to upgrade one or two apps and reset the Apache Web Server and MySQL. I will, of course, take manual backups of critical files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're way behind as it is. Most of us have upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion and then to Mavericks. Yes, it is that easy. In addition to backing up with Time Machine, I highly recommend a clone backup that's bootable. You can use either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Also, before upgrading to Mavericks, look up the procedure for making a bootable Mavericks flash drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMaci3, Macbook Pro, iPad Air
Hello chscag,
I'm in about the same position as Malcolmi.
Where and how do I find the procedure for making a bootable Mavericks flash drive. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
My only caution with the Mavericks upgrade is for BootCamp users: I went from Mountain Lion to Mavericks and the upgrade whacked the first few MB my Windows7 partition, rendering it unusable.

Lots of people in Apple's support forums had this same problem, and there is no fix available beyond completely reinstalling BootCamp (or, if you have a strong constitution, editing disk sectors by hand).

It's strange because my daughter followed the exact same upgrade path on her MacBookPro and her BootCamp partition made it through just fine.. seems like a sporadic thing.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm pleased to report that both my Mavericks upgrades were successful: a Macbook Air from Mountain Lion, and an iMac from Snow Leopard. Both had Bootcamp and the Windows partition survived just fine. The only mini problems were that I had to restart Apache web server and enable php - but I was expecting that.

Thought I'd just post this because I really am vastly relieved!

- Malcolm

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back your results. And congratulations on a successful double upgrade! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.