OneNote vs EverNote on Mac and iOS

Reaction score
Nice to see a version of OneNote out for the Mac. I was a big fan of ON in my Windows days. I tried the iOS versions on my iPhone and iPad last year but wasn't too impressed. They are handier now that ON for Mac is out. It's not a bad system, actually. So now the question for me is whether to abandon EverNote/SimpleNote and settle back into OneNote.

Here are my observations of this free version of ON, which presumably is a less capable prelude to a fuller version that will come out with the new MS Office for Mac -- tell me if I am missing something. Obviously tastes and preferences will vary person to person.

- Can embed images.
- Cannot embed PDFs.
- Cannot print.
- Has a slick web clipper for Safari (https://www.onenote.com/Clipper/OneNote?fromAR=1).
- Seems to open as slowly as EN, but once open not a problem.
- Nicer interface to my eye than EN, which seems cluttered to me. Hard to find my way around EN compared to ON. I prefer the simpler, quicker process in ON over EN.
- Can't open my old ON 2007 notebooks from my Windows days: this version can only open ON 2010 notebooks.
- Doesn't have an option to only store notebooks within my personal wifi network - have to to keep them in their cloud.
- Fast syncing between my devices.
- I haven't looked at collaboration yet.
- Can't customize the view: I like a left-hand navigator bar to zip around my ON notebooks.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Personally, I haven't downloaded the free version yet. My opinion - and this is just my opinion - anything that Microsoft "gives away for free" is usually crippled in some way. I probably will just wait until Mac Office 2014 is released later this year. My understanding is that ON will be included with the Home and Student version. Outlook will only be included in the more expensive Business version.

C

chas_m

I use SimpleNote quite extensively and Evernote very lightly. Unless OneNote had something that blew these two out of the water, I'd probably stay with what works for my usage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.