WordPerfect for Mac

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with WordPerfect for Mac? I am a long time WordPerfect user who just became a Mac user. I would like to continue using WordPerfect. I find WordPerfect for Mac on Amazon.com; but Corel says that there is no WordPerfect for Macs. What's up? What is this WordPerfect for Mac and does it work? It seems to load from a disc and I have a MacBook Air with no disc drive. How could I load it? Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to buy a program that would be useless.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It sort of depends on what Macintosh computer you have...and what OS version it is running.

As far as I know...there is no more WordPerfect for Macintosh computers since the version that was released in 1997 (a long long long time ago!:;)

WordPerfect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you have a REALLY old Mac (at least 10+ years old)...then you may be able to run this version of WordPerfect. But if you have a newer Mac computer...no way you will be able to run it.

- Nick

p.s. Just realized that you have a MacBook Air. Forgetaboutit!;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Pretty much your only options to run WordPerfect would be via Windows emulation on the Mac with a program like Parallels or VMWare Fusion...or via bootcamp/Windows on the Mac.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have WordPerfect 5.1 on 3 1/2 in disks that I ran for a while on my Mac in a Darwine bottle, and later (as I remember) installed using Crossover (per Chas_m's suggestion). Both worked if I recall properly (been a few years now) but I finally gave up and moved on to MS Word since I use that at work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Talk about being a dinosaur.... WordPerfect 5.1! LOL, I still have my copy also Mike. Glad we're not extinct yet. :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Talk about being a dinosaur.... WordPerfect 5.1! LOL, I still have my copy also Mike. Glad we're not extinct yet. :p

I felt extinct yesterday (bad head cold)!

But IMO 5.1 was the best Word processor iteration ever (slightly besting Wordstar). I know WYSIWYG took over, but I don't see it as a real improvement.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I have 5.1 somewhere on Floppys also! :D

A close friend was a Dev and tester for WP and I got things for almost nothing for helping him back in the day! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Was simply great on my LC running OS 7.0.1 but it is old, old, old as others have said. Would not even try it on your MBA as it was way, way before even G3's, let alone Intel machines and OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
WordPerfect certainly brings back memories! :)

Our first word processor on the Apple II+ in the early '80s was called Peachy Writer - did not do 'word wrap' but convinced my wife that there was a reason for me to have laid our $3K for the Apple computer - she was an amateur writer (still is) so the program was a revelation over a typewriter for her. We quickly switched to Screenwriter which did do 'word wrap' but struggled on the 64K RAM of that computer - two 5 1/4" floppies (one for the program & other for the data) - still remember feeling 'cool' back then w/ that computer - the local newspaper even came to our house, took some pics, did an interview - appeared as an article, probably around '81 or so? Dave :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.