Google maps

Reaction score
I dislike the new google maps. How do I keep the old version when I select Google maps?

C

chas_m

Has something changed? If so, what exactly? Looks pretty much the same to me.

However, if you're looking for something different, try Bing Maps. And if you're running OS X Mavericks (10.9), try Apple Maps (its an application in your Applications folder).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'm with the OP. The new Google Maps is terrible.

Route plans just disappear and Streetview is just impossible - you try to place the yellow man/black circle and it randomly displays a nearby road but not the one required. The list of problems continues... detail is lacking, zooming with mouse is oversensitive, you have to delve down to see route details, there is no print preview and print output is unusable - I resorted to taking a screen shot and using preview to print. That is until I discovered that at the bottom of the new Google map screen is a question mark - press it and you get the option to return to the wonderful original map/streetview (which was one of the most useful things every to appear on the internet) and to indicate why you do not like the new one.

C

chas_m

This sort of thing makes me glad I have very little need of Google Maps anymore.

Reaction score
Count me among those who don't like the new Google Maps interface. That box in the upper left corner gets in the way a lot more than it helps. We took a trip recently and had a heck of a time finding nearby hotels and restaurants with either Google Maps (more POIs, irritating interface) or Apple Maps (too few POIs). The specialized apps were not much help either. Surprisingly disappointing. Ended up asking people in the street, like the old days.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep - have to agree - the new google maps bites the big bullit

OP
M
Reaction score
Sawday,

Thank you. Best ? on the web.
I used to be able to get back to the old version by removing all web data in preferences but that seems to have stopped. Be nice if Google took heed of this string.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.