Edit OSX Version Number to install programs from App Store

Reaction score
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a user could "trick" the OS to think it is 10.9
so as to allow for programs relegated to 10.9+ to be installed.
After searching for this information again, I am coming up short.
Does anyone have any info on this

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No and I'm not sure you'd want to that. Not only is that solution bound to break but most software has a minimum OS requirement because previous versions aren't technologically supported.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you have reasons for not upgrading your computer to OS 10.9 (I know that this is possible for compatibility reasons with other apps)? Or is your computer not capable of running OS 10.9?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'm sure that OS updates would "break" the bypass. But I'm happy to redo it if/when that happens.
There are a few reasons for not updating to 10.9, but to be honest, they are not very relevant.

I know that there was a method for doing this that changed the version number in the "behind the scenes" files as well as in the About This Mac panel.

Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
J
Reaction score
Tutorial: Change the OS X Version by modifying systemversion.plist

This is pretty similar to what I had seen before, though I had seen a newer synopsis for Mountain Lion. Thanks lifeisabeach. My web searching skills are dull it seems. I'll keep looking, when I get some time, to see if this still works or if there is anything more modern out there.

I appreciate the help guys. I'll give it a whirl this weekend when I have a few hours to tinker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.