Mac questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.3
I bought a new Mac, and now I can't access most of my files. Quark is gone, photoshop is gone, but I really need my word files. I'm a writer. I get a message "You can't open Apple Works 6 because Power PC applications are no longer supported." What can I do?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a new Mac, and now I can't access most of my files. Quark is gone, photoshop is gone, but I really need my word files. I'm a writer. I get a message "You can't open Apple Works 6 because Power PC applications are no longer supported." What can I do?

Sounds to me like you're previous computer was very old running much older applications (older versions)...and now you have a much newer computer.

Support for "PowerPC" programs ended with OS 10.6. If this is a new computer...it's running OS 10.9 (which does not support older PowerPC programs).

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
reply to nick

I understand I had an old Mac. I'm wondering what I can do to make the new one work. The dealer I bought it from went out of business.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand I had an old Mac. I'm wondering what I can do to make the new one work. The dealer I bought it from went out of business.

Yes...you may understand that you had an older Mac...but we didn't know that exactly...since you did not tell us in your original post what model it was...or how old it was. But this really doesn't matter now (read below).

I will say it again. Support for PowerPC applications ended with OS 10.6. If your newer or new Macintosh is running OS 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9...then you're old PowerPC programs will not run.

It may be possible to purchase newer versions of the applications you had installed on your old computer...and these newer application versions may be able to import your old files.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I had a bunch of old AppleWorks files that I was able to open with Pages and Numbers. If you don't have those iWork applications (I did this with iWork '08), you can download LibreOffice for free, and it should be able to open those files. Word or Excel will not open them, but if you get them open in LibreOffice, you can export them to Word or Excel format.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks toMACsh. I'll try that. And thanks for not being condescending like Nick. I wouldn't come here for help if I already knew everything.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And thanks for not being condescending like Nick. I wouldn't come here for help if I already knew everything.

I'm sorry you saw things that way!:( My answers to you did not assume that you knew everything. :)

You didn't tell us in your original post how old your computer was or what model it was (I had to guess at it). Then in your 2nd post you said that you knew your computer was old. And all I said was...you may know things...but if you don't tell us...then we don't know it. We have to guess...because it was not written/communicated in your posts.

I also answered your question about "PowerPC" applications TWICE. Both times I said if the OS version on your newer computer was newer than OS 10.6...that's why PowerPC apps won't run.

Finally I also mentioned a solution that if you purchased newer versions of the applications that you need to use...importing your older files may be possible.

These answers may or may have been what you wanted to hear...but this is what happens when someone upgrades from a pretty old Mac to a much newer Mac.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@dusty859

Thanks toMACsh. I'll try that. And thanks for not being condescending like Nick. I wouldn't come here for help if I already knew everything.

Nick did not assume you knew everything which is why he explained quite clearly that PowerPC apps would no longer run on the new Mac. However, you were provided a good solution to your problem by member toMACsh. Let us know if you need further assistance.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, but I'm just looking for a publishing app.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to see you found your way back to this thread after almost 4 years has past. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You gotta larf!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use iStudio Publisher. Works great with High Sierra and has lots of free templates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.