Location, location, location!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
I did a bad thing. I changed two things at once.

I installed IOS7.1 on. My iPad 2 wifi only AND I changed my BB tariff (not supplier though).

Now, my iPad will not find my location in most apps EXCEPT in Google maps where it works fine. Sometimes and app will find a location but thinks I'm in Coventry - I'm nowhere near there. Usually though it just says turn on location services ...

Everything is enabled and I've done all the resets going.

Any ideas please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,

This can happen for several reasons. Your Date & Time settings might be out of sync on your iPad or Wi-Fi may be disabled or you may not have a clear line of sight to pick up the GPS satellites.

That said I would start with going into Settings>Privacy on your iPad and checking that Location Services is enabled and ditto for all your apps. Then go Settings>General>Date & Time and make sure that you have the correct time and time zone... this is best set to automatic.

OP
Perranoak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
Cheers for the reply.

did all that - still no go!

Could it be to do with my ISP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Perranoak.

I'm not sure about that...I thought location services used a combination of wi-fi, cellular, bluetooth and GPS to find your location. However if we look at it logically, it is possibly the update that is corrupt, some data services were changed with your tarrif change or maybe you opted to install the Google Maps app for iOS and that that is now the default service and 'mixing you a bottle' as we say up North. I'm just speculating which is not a lot of help really.

Can you knock off the Google Maps app and see if it defaults to Maps at all?

OP
Perranoak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
Cheers, I'll have a bash!

C

chas_m

I did a bad thing. I changed two things at once.

I installed IOS7.1 on. My iPad 2 wifi only AND I changed my BB tariff (not supplier though).

I do not know what a "BB tariff" is. Does this refer to broadband, do you perhaps mean you've upgraded or downgraded your broadband *tier* (ie speed level)? Sorry if this is a "over the pond" language issue ... I haven't lived in England since before broadband came along ... :)

OP
Perranoak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
Yes, sorry Chas, I have upgraded my broadband to an unlimited type and wondered if that could be a cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perranoak,
Unlimited broadband would not affect Location Services negatively. Did you try any other suggestions?

Last edited:
OP
Perranoak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
Thanks P., I did try, to no avail.
Elsewhere there was a suggestion to download an app that needed so that the Aplle password was entered again. Didn't work either!
Grrr.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.