MacBook Air not charging

K

kazuyo

Does anyone has an idea what I should be looking at except for a possible battery problem when MacBook Air doesn't seem to charge and doesn't start up while not connected to power? It has also started to shut down all of a sudden while on plug. It has just been upgraded to X.6 Snow Leopard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If this MacBook Air has just been updated to Mac OS 10.6...this must be a pretty old MacBook Air model. If this is the case...the battery may be pretty old.

First thing I would try is an SMC reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Also (just to verify)...if plugged in...will the computer operate normally?

- Nick

OP
K

kazuyo

Nick

Thank you for quick reply. I will try SMC reset. And it is not working normal even if it's plugged at the moment.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick

Thank you for quick reply. I will try SMC reset. And it is not working normal even if it's plugged at the moment.

Ok...let us know if the SMC reset helps.

Also...has anything happened to this computer?...such as been dropped or liquid spilled on it?

And...have you always owned this computer...or did you purchase it recently...and the computer is "new to you"?

- Nick

OP
K

kazuyo

I will do the reset later. I have inherited this machine from my family member. So no to that question.. But I am a Mac user for many years

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Have you ruled out the magsafe charger? Mine is pretty old and I've noticed that the springs behind 2 or 3 of the copper pins have gone out and they often don't connect very well. The orange/green light is on, making you think it's charging, but it actually isn't connected.

After a quick jiggle or two it will connect.

I know that's an extremely simple solution and I'm sure you've tried it, just thought I'd throw it out there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have inherited this machine from my family member.

Has this computer worked properly since you have had it...or are you basically trying to to "resurrect" it?

- Nick

OP
K

kazuyo

Thanks it has been strange that the megasafe indicated green always although I knew that it wasn't full. But it appears fine otherwise.

OP
K

kazuyo

Nick Again thanks. It seemed to have worked ok it didn't shut down twice but immediately after reseting it did go black once. Still the charger indicates green so I will give a go to charge it over night and see what happens in the morning and disconnect the charger. Fingers crossed.

OP
K

kazuyo

The reset worked ok and now I can see the battery alert at the top right tells me 'battery immediate change' so will try arrange with nearby Apple store! Thank you for help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.