Software Query

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2011 27" i7 iMac iPad Air iPhone 6 iPod Classic Sierra
I'm not sure if I am posting this in the correct space but here goes. Can I assume that if a piece of software is featured in Mac Forum (specifically Clean My Mac 2) that it is something that is to be trusted and works?

Once again my apologies if this is the worn g place to post this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I moved your post here to the correct forum. In answering your question about "Clean My Mac 2", we have to make the following disclaimer:

We have no control over which software is advertised on our forums. The advertisements are paid by the advertiser to the owners of these forums.

Having said that, it is my opinion that software such as "Clean My Mac 2" or "MacKeeper" do more harm than good. The only cleaning tool we recommend is OnyX which is a free application and can be downloaded from here.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2011 27" i7 iMac iPad Air iPhone 6 iPod Classic Sierra
Thank you I had a feeling that was the case.

=E=

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini late 2012 2.6ghz i7 8gb ram Fusiondrive ; iMac (mid 2010)
I have bad experience with Clean My Mac 2. Stay away!
I have learned the hard way, that it is not needed to clean your Mac as for an example Windows PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In marketing the old Latin proverb applies Wardy ~ "a buck is a buck is a buck"!

Use Onyx which is free for maintaining your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I'm a big fan of Cocktail, myself. Onyx does a great job too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
I moved your post here to the correct forum. In answering your question about "Clean My Mac 2", we have to make the following disclaimer:

We have no control over which software is advertised on our forums. The advertisements are paid by the advertiser to the owners of these forums.

Having said that, it is my opinion that software such as "Clean My Mac 2" or "MacKeeper" do more harm than good. The only cleaning tool we recommend is OnyX which is a free application and can be downloaded from here.

Brings up a question. I'm tired of having the damned MacKeeper popup constantly popping up. I have "block popups" set in Safari, but I still keep getting the annoying thing. Is there something else I can do to stop it from showing up?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.