Samsung Galaxy Note 3 not USB 3.0

Reaction score
Hello Experts,

I have a MacBoot Air (mid 2012) under Mavericks.

When I connect my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to it via the Samsung supplied usb 3.0 cable, go to System Information and check the connected USB devices, it shows the smartphone connected as a usb 2.0 device.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance and best regards,
Lino

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The phone specs clearly show that it's Micro USB 3 capable and also USB 2.0 capable in case USB 3 is not available. I suspect you need to install the Samsung Kies software in order for everything to work right and also sync the phone. I may be wrong about that but it won't hurt to try since the software is free from Samsung. Download from here.

OP
L
Reaction score
Unfortunatelly installing Kies has not solved the problem. Mavericks still sees my Note 3 as a usb 2.0 device.

I have tried three different cables.

Please see attached image.

What now?

Regards,
Lino

USB.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure exactly what your screen shot is saying in English, but it looks to me that it's showing your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 as attached to the High Speed USB Hub. I guess that means USB 2?

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, looking at the MAC OSX System Information:

Samsung Android is my phone. It is under "Barramento Hi-speed USB", which in English means "Hi-Speed USB hub". This is an USB 2.0 bus.

The phone should appear under "Barramento SuperSpeed USB 3.0", which in English is "SuperSpeed USB 3.0 hub".

In other words, it seems my phone is not being recognized as an USB 3.0 device by MAC OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Does it detect other USB devices as USB 3.0 (if you have any?).

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, I have an external HDD which is 3.0. It appears under "Barramento SuperSpeed USB 3.0", which in English is "SuperSpeed USB 3.0 hub".

Please see attached image.

Captura de Tela 2014-03-20 às 14.33.25.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you installed Kies and the Galaxy is syncing properly with your Mac, then there may be something about the phone's hardware profile that makes the system think it's a USB 2 device. I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that. Perhaps you can contact Samsung support and ask them about it? They may have a resolution.

OP
L
Reaction score
I plugged my USB 3.0 external hard drive into the USB port. The System Information showed it as an USB 3.0 device, as shown in the image above.

Then I ejected the HDD and, replaced it by my Note 3 using the same cable and usb por I used for the HDD.

Nevertheless, the phone appeared in System Information as a usb 2.0 device exactly as shown in the first image above.

In other words, I replaced the HDD by the phone and the connection hub changed from the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to the Hi-Speed USB 2.0 hub...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That particular thread in the Android forum is driven by an Apple hater and by someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about. Not useful.

Anyway, I really see no problem if the Galaxy is not recognized as a USB 3 device as long as it syncs with the Mac and can be charged. Hard drives matter because of the amount of data flowing; obviously faster is better there. However, I can understand the OP's concern since the Galaxy is advertised as a USB 3 device.

OP
L
Reaction score
That particular thread in the Android forum is driven by an Apple hater and by someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about. Not useful.

Anyway, I really see no problem if the Galaxy is not recognized as a USB 3 device as long as it syncs with the Mac and can be charged. Hard drives matter because of the amount of data flowing; obviously faster is better there. However, I can understand the OP's concern since the Galaxy is advertised as a USB 3 device.

I'm sorry to disagree with you about this.

Although my Note 3 connects, syncs, charges and even serves as a 4G modem to my MacBook Air, I also transfer lots of media files between them and having USB 2.0 speeds with both USB 3.0 devices using an USB 3.0 cable is not acceptable at all!

And if you consider that with other USB 3.0 equipped computers my Note 3 connects via USB 3.0 without any problems...

Besides, this has made me the center of many jokes among my work colleagues who love to mock Apple.

:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know what to tell you then.... ? The best suggestion I can give you is the same as above, and that is to contact Samsung. Perhaps they may have a solution or know of one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.