salvaging old iPhoto

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is a bit of an obscure question but hopefully someone can help me out.

A while ago my girlfriend spilled wine on her 2009 macbook. It is pretty much fried, so after getting a new Macbook Air, and thinking the original hard drive would be intact I bought an external enclosure, removed the hard drive and now I would like to get some of her old files off of it (and end up with a small external hard drive she can use to backup her files for the next time she spills wine on her laptop...)

She used iPhoto on the old computer, and I cannot for the life of me find out where the image files are kept. I can't open the old iPhoto application as it is not compatible with OSX, and there doesn't seem to be a folder anywhere with all the pictures in it. Can anyone help me out? Where are they hiding?!

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Photos are enclosed with the iPhoto library. Open Finder and go here:

Macintosh HD/Users/her user name/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
To view files in the iPhoto library you will likely need to ctrl click the library, then select show package contents.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.