Wi-Fi adaptor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13" 2012, 1.8GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5
Can't stream video. Should I get a new router with 'n' & 'ac' support (eg Asus RT-AC66U 802.11ac)?

Will the ASUS model USB-N10 improve or supplant the Airport Express in my MBA 13"?

Excuse my ignorance but I find this topic confusing- Router/Modem/Modem+Router/ seem to be used interchangeably... hope my question makes sense!

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you have the original MBA, your Airport car supports a/b/g and draft N. If you have anything newer, you have a/b/g/n which is fast enough..

The question is what is your router at home? What is your Internet speed? What other devices to you have on your WiFi network?

Let's start with the basics..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Can't stream video. Should I get a new router with 'n' & 'ac' support (eg Asus RT-AC66U 802.11ac)?

Will the ASUS model USB-N10 improve or supplant the Airport Express in my MBA 13"?

Excuse my ignorance but I find this topic confusing- Router/Modem/Modem+Router/ seem to be used interchangeably... hope my question makes sense!

Please provide the following information, some already requested: 1) What are the available wireless protocols on your laptop (type in 'System Info...' into Spotlight or use the Apple > About This Mac) - see attached pic of my MBPro - check Wi-Fi (blue arrow) and look at the highlighted information - my machine has 802.11 a/b/g/n)?; 2) What type of modem is attached to your AirPort Express router, i.e. cable, DSL, satellite - hope that you are not on dial-up?; 3) What wireless protocols are supported by your router?; and 4) What is the distance between your laptop & router when you are trying to stream (i.e. number of rooms, wall construction, etc.).

AND, what speeds are you now getting from your modem-router combination? I use Speedtest Net (others are available - you may have to google or your ISP probably offers its own testing?) - currently I'm getting 20 Mbps download speed which is fine for streaming. Please look at these questions closely and try to answer as many as you can - I think then we might be able to help. Good luck! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 6.25.43 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys,

Router/modem is DYNALINK RTA 1046 VW, download speed 1.9 Mbs; my Info page for MacBook Air reads the same as yours, Rad Dave. Distance to modem is 15 ft, 2 brick walls between, ADSL2.

Apologies for delay, unable to access the modem until now!

PS_ I fear it may be a local issue, Australia having crap broadband averaging 4.7 Mbs; my exchange may be a poor one, too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys,

Router/modem is DYNALINK RTA 1046 VW, download speed 1.9 Mbs; my Info page for MacBook Air reads the same as yours, Rad Dave. Distance to modem is 15 ft, 2 brick walls between, ADSL2.

PS_ I fear it may be a local issue, Australia having crap broadband averaging 4.7 Mbs; my exchange may be a poor one, too.

Hi again - well, your DL speed is rather poor and likely relates to the signal coming into your modem which is provided by your ISP (wireless routers using 802.11g can transmit up to 54 Mbps, and 802.11n much faster).

The other factor is the signal strength reaching your laptop (this could be lessened by those 2 brick walls) and the SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) - to check the latter, look again at the Wi-Fi stats in system information - on mine the numbers are: Signal / Noise: -61 dBm / -87 dBm - subtract the two numbers (26 dB in my case) - below is a chart indicating the 'signal quality' relative to SNR - mine is fine, but if you are below 20, then that would be another issue.

You could also purchase an app called 'Wi-Fi Explorer' ($3 only) - the second pic shows the output w/ my laptop signal highlighted - signal strength is 68% at the moment w/ a SNR of 33 dB; now, I'm probably 40 ft from my AirPort Extreme router which is in the next room w/ a wood stud wall in-between.

SO, you might want to compare your signal strength & SNR on your laptop, BOTH where you usually do your viewing and also next to the router - post back your results; BUT one of your main 'bottlenecks' may be DL speed you are currently getting (do you have other options w/ your ISP or possibly other internet providers?). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 10.28.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 10.11.06 AM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave, a lot of good info. Checking with neighbours it's apparent the problem is the incoming signal, so no point improving the modem. There's the National Broadband Network, a gov't project to supply speeds up to 20Mbs but not in my area until 2015... sad, eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave, a lot of good info. Checking with neighbours it's apparent the problem is the incoming signal, so no point improving the modem. There's the National Broadband Network, a gov't project to supply speeds up to 20Mbs but not in my area until 2015... sad, eh?

No problem at all - like I said, your router even on 802.11 g can put out sufficient speed to stream HD video easily - the 'bottleneck' is the signal coming into the modem. If you have a choice between streaming @ HD vs. SD, then pick the latter - in the USA the price is usually a little cheaper plus more likely to succeed @ a lower bandwidth. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.