Time machine retrieval

Reaction score
On upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I lost my iPhoto and Photoshop programs. How do I retrieve them from my Time Machine? from Coulsford

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you install Snow Leopard? Only if you completely erased the drive first would you have lost the apps. When I installed Snow Leopard over the top of Leopard I didn't lose anything.

You can possibly restore both from Time Machine. Just attach your Time Machine hard drive and go to a date before you installed Snow Leopard. Find iPhoto and Photoshop and restore them. You may be able to restore iPhoto without too much trouble but Photoshop is going to be more difficult because there are many files to find and restore.

C

chas_m

Adobe Photoshop will most definitely need to be reinstalled from your original program disc.

The iPhoto program can be copied from the Time Machine backup to the correct place (the Applications folder) on your hard drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
Time Machine retrieval

In response to chscag, an Apple so-called "genius" cleared the Leopard from my Mac Mini and replaced it with Snow Leopard when I called at Apple's Stratford City store in London complaining of a perpetual circle of doom slowing the machine down. I thought he would have preserved my original apps, but clearly he did not.

In response to chas_m, when I call up iPhoto on Time Machine, I get a series of files, certainly with old images in them, but not the 3,000+ buried in the iPhoto app.

Regards, Coulsford

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry to hear what happened. The Apple tech should have known better or at least asked you first before he wiped Leopard. As for iPhoto, all your photos are located within the iPhoto library. Restoring the iPhoto library from your Time Machine backup should restore the photos.

OP
C
Reaction score
Time Machine retrieval

In reply to chscag, I went to the day before the change to Snow Leopard, restored the iPhoto app, but when I tried to look at the images, this message appeared on the screen:
"You can't open the app iPhoto because it may be damaged or incomplete." iPhoto was working perfectly before the change from Leopard to Snow Leopard in early March, so what do I do now when I bought Time Machine to save me from such disasters?

Regards Coulsford

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You don't need to restore the iPhoto app, but the iPhoto Library.photoLibrary, which is located in your home folder. ( Depending on how many pictures you have in there, the library can be several Gigabytes )
Time Machine will then restore all the pictures in the library as well.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
C
Reaction score
Time Machine retrieval

In response to McBie, I got to the Home section but could not find iPhoto Library. There was a pictures folder with lots of images on it, but no photoLibrary. My Mac has been out of action for some days with a frozen cursor. The cause? A dud battery in the optical mouse...
Regards Coulsford

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.