Thinking about 12" iBook G4

S

shadov

Hi!
I've been looking into iBooks for some time and the 12" G4 model looks quite promising. Although it's more expensive than I was originally planning for. (My original plan was to get a x86 laptop for ~1000 euros and run Linux/BSD on it).

Then I started reading about that trackpad problem and now I'm a bit scared.

Do you think there is high probability of getting flawed one? And if I run into problems do you think they will be easily fixed?

I'm poor student and 1300 euros (thats what iBook + AE costs here) is big money for me. I don't want to spend it on crappy hardware.

Also do you think it'll ship faster if I order standard iBook and Airport card separately?

OP
I

iKwak

You will love your new iBook.
I been using my new iBook every single day since I received it.
Apple and crappy hardware doesn't go together buddy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
shadov said:
Hi!
I've been looking into iBooks for some time and the 12" G4 model looks quite promising. Although it's more expensive than I was originally planning for. (My original plan was to get a x86 laptop for ~1000 euros and run Linux/BSD on it).

Then I started reading about that trackpad problem and now I'm a bit scared.

Do you think there is high probability of getting flawed one? And if I run into problems do you think they will be easily fixed?

I'm poor student and 1300 euros (thats what iBook + AE costs here) is big money for me. I don't want to spend it on crappy hardware.

Also do you think it'll ship faster if I order standard iBook and Airport card separately?

Is it possible for you to order from the US store, or from a store such as MacConnection or others? There are currently very good deals available on the G3 iBooks, and from my personal experience (and from reading about other owners), it seems the quality-control on these machines was extremely good.

OP
S

shadov

Padawan said:
Is it possible for you to order from the US store, or from a store such as MacConnection or others? There are currently very good deals available on the G3 iBooks, and from my personal experience (and from reading about other owners), it seems the quality-control on these machines was extremely good.
No. Ordering from US is not an option. I live in Finland (northern Europe). Warranty stuff might get complicated even if it was possible, and I'd prefer having FI keyboard.

G3 is an interesting option. However I'd only save 150 ~ 200 euros if I buy from the nearest retailer. And then I lose the slot loading combo drive. Plus I've heard G4 have better keyboard. I can do more digging and see if I find a better deal - If you think G3 are worth it.

iKwak said:
Apple and crappy hardware doesn't go together buddy.
So I've been told. But if you follow the link I posted, you can see some people having different experience. It's difficult to see how big percentage these people make out of total iBook G4 user base. And that is basically what I'm trying to find out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.