• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Tim Cook calls Yukari Kane book Haunted Empire “nonsense”. . . ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Tim Cook calls Yukari Kane book Haunted Empire “nonsense”, says it fails to capture Apple or Jobs

This nonsense belongs with some of the other books I’ve read about Apple. It fails to capture Apple, Steve, or anyone else in the company. Apple has over 85,000 employees that come to work each day to do their best work, to create the world’s best products, to put their mark in the universe and leave it better than they found it. This has been the heart of Apple from day one and will remain at the heart for decades to come. I am very confident about our future.

Read more on the above link ~ Apple book authors talk about the ‘nonsense’ you can find in their books

The video is a good one to watch, and see how much, (at least the woman) doesn't know about the Company that is Apple.

C

chas_m

I have yet to read ANY review of this book that doesn't describe it as (summarizing) a hatchet job where the author started with a pre-conceived notion (Apple is doomed without Steve) and then proceeded to cherry-pick or discard facts as needed to fit that notion. That is neither good journalism nor acceptable non-fiction book writing, so I see no reason to reward the author for sloppy and unprofessional work.

The fact of the matter is that Apple stock is up nearly 40 percent from when Steve resigned. Sales are up. Profits are up. There is no product other than the iPod that Apple makes that isn't selling better now than it did in 2011. But much more important than the financial side, most of these products are significantly BETTER than the products of 2011. The iPhone. The iPad. The iMac. The MacBook line. The Apple TV. Much of the underlying technologies (processor, battery, Lightning, etc).

Naysayers argue that Apple hasn't had a revolutionary product since the iPad. I'd argue the point with the Mac Pro, but for the sake of debate let's say they're right. So?

Revolutions don't happen on a schedule. Only hype and smoke+mirror type "innovations" can be routinely scheduled. The expectations are in part Apple's own fault, I suppose, but that doesn't make it any less a double-standard. People forget it was *six years* between the iPod and the iPhone, and Apple wasn't hurting *at all* in between those two inventions. Most of the big names in tech and other industries have *maybe* two genuinely innovative products or services to their name, and a fair few companies only have those because they bought them off someone else. And these are companies that have been around longer than Apple, in some cases decades longer.

Apple isn't (and never has been) an "disruption factory." Its a customer-experience laboratory, and some of the experiments are very successful, some are brilliant but not successful, and some just don't work.

I'm not going to worry about Apple until I see some evidence that they've stopped caring about the customer experience and that they've given up on "giving a ****" (to quote Ive) on design and experimentation and taking chances. Only at THAT point can we say that Steve's Apple is truly gone, IMO.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@chas_m

When you're the current "King of the Hill", you become a target for every nut job out there who thinks he/she has a theory or two of how you'll meet your demise. I ignore them.

The fact remains that Steve hand picked Tim Cook to be his replacement. Tim was actually running Apple even when Steve was still alive battling the cancer that finally killed him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
...to put their mark in the universe...

Classic. I'm going to use that one at work the next time someone questions my process or results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.