Which USB's for two Macs (HD question followup?)

Reaction score
A while back I started this thread re: new external hard drives:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ot...als/308807-requirments-mac-compatible-hd.html

I got busy and am just now getting around to making this purchase. As I read some specs on the HD's I see most have USB 3.0 but say they are backwards compatible with 2.0. I am unable to locate all my papers from my computer purchases currently as I moved last year. I have a G4, which I as guessing is 2.0 but uncertain? And same question for a Mac Book Pro: what version of USB is on a MBP and what it the easiest way to tell?

I saw a couple of drives that state powered by the USB. The current Seagate I have is power by a power plug. What is the pros and cons of getting one that use USB powered? I do remember my G4 had some problems powering certain plug in items off the keyboard plugs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas all G4's have USB1 from memory. I think you would do much better with a Firewire external hard drive caddy and any IDE hard drive in that. You have not said which G4 but all models have Firewire 400 connections. This is some 30 odd times faster than USB1.

OP
D
Reaction score
Does that mean these drives, that talk about USB 3 and 2.0 are or are not capable with my G4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes precisely. All G4's are USB. Or look at it as USB1. They USB2 is backwards compatible with USB but will work only at USB speeds, 12Mbits/ps compared to 400Mbots/ps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.