MS Office for iPad

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think Microsoft finally realizes that they were losing oodles of dollars by not developing a version of Office for iOS sooner. It reminds me of when the Wordperfect Corp got behind several years in developing a version of Wordperfect for Windows and Microsoft wound up eating their lunch. Now Microsoft is learning the same lesson. :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Isn't there Office for the iPhone already or am I wrong?

Word on the street says that this will be tied to Office 365 which sucks because I'd love for nothing more than an editor for documents stored on OneDrive (my new favourite cloud service).

C

chas_m

That's what it is called, but its just a viewer for Office 365 documents -- you can't actually DO anything with them, so the naming of the app is at best a bit disingenuous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Word on the street says that this will be tied to Office 365 which sucks because I'd love for nothing more than an editor for documents stored on OneDrive (my new favourite cloud service).

OneNote is the closet thing to Office at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
OneNote is the closet thing to Office at the moment.

There is Office Mobile, and if you are an Office 365 subscriber you can edit documents all day long. I have been using this for quite some time, and find it quite useful for small edits on the go.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's also the new web apps. I'm not sure how well browsers on the iPad will handle the complexity of the web app but there's always that option for those who desperately want Office on the iPad.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OH pleaaaase, I hope MS Office will be available in iPad.

WOW...you sound excited!:):)

I use MS Office at work all the time. To me..."MS Office = Digging a Ditch" lol;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
USA Today had a brief article on the increase in MS's stock price on this announcement - should help Apple, too - Article HERE, for those interested.

As for me, I have no need to use Office on an iPad - iWork serves my 'limited' needs now for an office suite, but I'll be curious how well the programs will work on an iPad vs. the desktop versions of MS Office (just thinking about the differences between my iWorks apps on the iPad vs. on our iMacs)?

NOW, if Apple indeed releases an iPad Pro (HERE) in the fall, this might be a 'game changer' - my iPad 2 is still going strong, but I was planning to get an Air about now - may just wait. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's certainly an interesting article especially if the rumor is true about Apple replacing the MacBook Air with a 12 inch Mac Pro iPad. Think about that for a moment... it would actually be larger than the 11 inch MacBook Air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And that is it a Rumour. The Article I read de-bunked the notion of the iPad Pro 12.9" screen, 4K resolution. They couldn't put a screen that big in a Tablet and then keep the battery size down down to the size of the IPA.

C

chas_m

No chance at all that Apple will release an iPad with a larger screen than the current one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
And that is it a Rumour. The Article I read de-bunked the notion of the iPad Pro 12.9" screen, 4K resolution. They couldn't put a screen that big in a Tablet and then keep the battery size down down to the size of the IPA.

No chance at all that Apple will release an iPad with a larger screen than the current one.

Indeed - yet another article HERE about the feasibility (or lack of it!) of Apple producing a larger screen iPad soon - maybe I should just get an iPad Air? :) Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.