How large of an SSD can you use for a Fusion drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I am planning to upgrade my 2011 iMac with a bigger internal hard drive and an SSD that I plan to use to create my own Fusion drive. I have found the commands to make this happen. The only issue I have now is that I don’t know how big I can go on the SSD. I know they come with just 128GB and I think I’ve read that you can use 256MB, but I’d like to go up to at least 512GB, if not 1TB if I find a good deal on one. I just don’t know if a drive that big would be recognized.

I’m guessing this question has already been asked, but when I ran a general forum search for “fusion drive” or even “fusion” there was no results, so I guess forum search is on the fritz.

So if anyone out there has created their own Fusion drive and knows more about this than me, let me know. Also, if you ran into any speed bumps along the way you can clue me in on, I would appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.