Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 24 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.15f2
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID:

Hey everyone. The question I have is, I bought this iMac for video rendering. When I render it. The cpu goes to 90%, and the machine makes a noise for the rest of the render. Is this normal. Thanks and would really appreciate your help! Have a good one all! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey everyone. The question I have is, I bought this iMac for video rendering. When I render it. The cpu goes to 90%, and the machine makes a noise for the rest of the render. Is this normal. Thanks and would really appreciate your help! Have a good one all! :)

Sounds normal to me. Rendering is a very demanding task. I'm assuming that the "noise" you mentioned is the cooling fan. Again...totally normal.

High-demanding tasks mean more cpu & gpu activity...this means more heat...this means more cooling...this means higher fan rpms...this means more fan noise.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like Nick says... it's normal. And since the 2013 iMacs only have one central fan instead of the three that were in previous models prior to 2012, it will definitely work hard to cool the chassis.

OP
M
Reaction score
I want to thank you, both big time! I just never heard a fan in a iMac before. Just wanted to make sure. Now I can breath easier. I figured it may be that. But I'm new to computers. And i wanted some knowledgeable mac users to give me there thoughts. Have a great night, and take care! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to thank you, both big time! I just never heard a fan in a iMac before. Just wanted to make sure. Now I can breath easier. I figured it may be that. But I'm new to computers. And i wanted some knowledgeable mac users to give me there thoughts. Have a great night, and take care! :)

I have an older 21.5" iMac from 2009...and I've never heard it's fan yet either. But I bet if I tried to do some rendering on it...things would heat up...and the fan/fans would kick into a higher rpm mode.

Just as an FYI. The fan in your iMac (just like in laptops)...is always running when the computer is turned on. It's just running a low rpm (1000-2000 rpm). When the computer is asked to do more demanding things (rendering)...things heat up...and the fan rpm's will increase to say 4000 rpm. If things are really demanding...then fan rpm's can hit 6000 (approx. max. fan speed)...and you cannot miss this "fan noise"!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I have an older 21.5" iMac from 2009...and I've never heard it's fan yet either. But I bet if I tried to do some rendering on it...things would heat up...and the fan/fans would kick into a higher rpm mode.

Just as an FYI. The fan in your iMac (just like in laptops)...is always running when the computer is turned on. It's just running a low rpm (1000-2000 rpm). When the computer is asked to do more demanding things (rendering)...things heat up...and the fan rpm's will increase to say 4000 rpm. If things are really demanding...then fan rpm's can hit 6000 (approx. max. fan speed)...and you cannot miss this "fan noise"!;)

- Nick

HEY PIGOO3, AND CHSCAG
THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION. I WAS JUST GOING TO POST ANOTHER QUESTION. WHY MY OTHER MACS NEVER HAD CPU FAN NOISE. AND THIS NEW MORE EXPENSIVE iMAC, IS HAVING THESE CPU ISSUES EVERY FEW DAYS. AND NOW I KNOW BECAUSE THEY ONLY USE ONE FAN! PIGOO3, YOU SURE YOUR NOT ONE OF THOSE WITH ESPN? I MEAN ESP! HAVE A GREAT DAY YOU BOTH.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I also have a 2013 iMac but am certainly not a video expert. However I do create 15 to 30 minute videos in Final Cut Pro and then run them through Compressor to prepare them for Youtube. I don't know how demanding that is, but I have never heard my fan and the case stays relatively cool.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HEY PIGOO3, AND CHSCAG
THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION. I WAS JUST GOING TO POST ANOTHER QUESTION. WHY MY OTHER MACS NEVER HAD CPU FAN NOISE. AND THIS NEW MORE EXPENSIVE iMAC, IS HAVING THESE CPU ISSUES EVERY FEW DAYS. AND NOW I KNOW BECAUSE THEY ONLY USE ONE FAN! PIGOO3, YOU SURE YOUR NOT ONE OF THOSE WITH ESPN? I MEAN ESP! HAVE A GREAT DAY YOU BOTH.. :)

Why are you YELLING???

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
i also have a 2013 imac but am certainly not a video expert. However i do create 15 to 30 minute videos in final cut pro and then run them through compressor to prepare them for youtube. I don't know how demanding that is, but i have never heard my fan and the case stays relatively cool.

hey bob_stan, i want to thank you for mentioning that. I have the thought of buying it! And have just started checking it out. They sure have a fantastic selection of effects. Plus my friend uses it. And swears by it! But i love adobe products. I know my cpu on my older mac could handle most effects. That's why i ungraded. That's because some effects do take a large amount of ram and cpu.

But after reading more on these forums. I have learned so much more about cpu usage. And i found out last night. An app called little snitch makes your cpu go nuts. So earlier, i removed it from my computer. And it hasn't once made any noise. And the cpu hasn't hardly moved past it's usual. What a relief! Bob_stan you have a good one. And i appreciate your input! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
why are you yelling???

- nick

hey pigoo3, every comment i've made i've been yelling. And i was so happy when i sent my messages this for put them in lower cases. I have to write in caps so i can make sure i can read what i'm writing. I'm legally blind in my left eye. And i have trouble in reading. Sorry, i usually mention it. But when this forum corrected for me i was a happy camper! Hope you understand! Have a good one! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hope you understand! Have a good one!

We understand, not a problem. But would like to point out that your Mac has special accessibility features that might help you to see what you type a bit better. In case you don't know about them, they're located in System Preferences, Accessibility.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey pigoo3, every comment i've made i've been yelling. And i was so happy when i sent my messages this for put them in lower cases. I have to write in caps so i can make sure i can read what i'm writing. I'm legally blind in my left eye. And i have trouble in reading. Sorry, i usually mention it. But when this forum corrected for me i was a happy camper! Hope you understand! Have a good one! :)

That was the first post from you that I saw that was in all caps…so it stood out when I read it. As I'm sure you know…all caps is yelling.;)

Sorry…no way of knowing on a text-based internet forum that you had an eyesight challenge. And of course no reason it needs to be mentioned…unless you want to. Everyone is treated equally here.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.