iPad Default browser won't default

Reaction score
I am completely new to my iPad but regular user of PC & Macbook.
I have tried to set default browser on iPad to Google, and as far as I can see that is set properly in Safari preferences, yet whenever I access Safari it defaults to Yahoo or gives a choice of four different browsers.
Where am I going wrong if Google is definitely set in preferences?.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I moved your post here to the correct forum which concerns the iPad and also edited your title for clarity.

What exactly are you trying to setup as the default, the iPad browser or search engine? You seem to be saying you're trying to setup Google as the default browser on the iPad and you also mention Yahoo. Google and Yahoo are search engines not browsers. Safari is a browser.

So what is it you're trying to do?

OP
E
Reaction score
Grateful thanks, chscag, for moving my thread to the correct slot.
I guess I am having difficulty switching between conventional PC or Mac to iPad, hence my confusion between browsers and search engines. What I want to happen is that when I touch the Safari icon a "home" screen (or iPad equivalent) is automatically presented as the Google search box (as at Google).
Richard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, you should be able to set that up on your Mac. Here's why... if your Mac and iPad are on the same WiFi network, the bookmarks and settings for Safari that you make on your Mac should reflect or carry over to your iPad. Make sure that Google is the search engine of choice on your Mac. Leave your Mac on and turn on your iPad so both are using the same Wifi (your home network). Safari on your iPad is the default browser regardless. The search engine should be the same as your Mac. Let us know if this works for you.

C

chas_m

if your Mac and iPad are on the same WiFi network, the bookmarks and settings for Safari that you make on your Mac should reflect or carry over to your iPad.

Nope. He needs to turn on bookmark syncing on both devices for that to happen, it doesn't "just happen" by dint of being on the same Wi-Fi network.

Make sure that Google is the search engine of choice on your Mac.

I think we are getting a little confused here.

The OP, as I read it, wants to make his *default homepage* the Google start page. This has nothing to do with the "set default search engine" preference one would see on desktop Safari, that pertains to the search bar not the default homepage.

(aside to point out that by default, the URL bar in iOS Safari *is* a Google search bar, so there's really no need to set Google.com as your homepage, but if you still want to ...)

To set the default SEARCH ENGINE for Safari in iOS, go to Settings->Safari->Search Engine. To the best of my knowledge (apart from a "cheat," hang on for that), you can't set a "home page" in iOS Safari -- it always returns to the last page you visited, so you can make it your "home page" by making google.com the last page you visit before closing Safari.

*the "cheat" I mentioned is that you can set any website as a program icon by itself by visiting the page, tapping the "share" button and choosing save to home screen. This creates an icon on your device that you press INSTEAD of the Safari app icon -- it opens Safari and takes you to the desired page, like a "home page" would.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chas. Apparently, I misread his post. Regarding the bookmark syncing, that's strange because I have never turned that on and my bookmarks sync just fine from my iMac to my iPad 3 (as long as both are on my home network).

OP
E
Reaction score
Chas_m
You helped me when I first got my macbook pro, so good to hear from you again. I do like the sound of the "cheat" option so shall give that a go.
The logic of iOS against OSX Mountain Lion is taking some getting used to but I am getting there........I think.
Richard

OP
E
Reaction score
Chas_m
I did as suggested and it worked in part.
I touched Save to Home Screen then ADD.
Going back to the main screen there was no new icon so I touched Safari and my new Google home screen appeared as expected...................BUT just that once. Next time I touched Safari it defaulted back to Yahoo.

Sometimes it goes to the standard screen where there are 4 coloured blocks for Apple, Disney, ESPN and Yahoo.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you scroll through the different home screens - or did you only look at the first one?

OP
E
Reaction score
Only one Home Page appears - the one with the 4 coloured boxes. Tried scrolling up and down but nothing there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your home pages scroll side to side - not up and down - and yes, you do have more than one, since there is more than one on a brand new phone.

If you have never scrolled to the other screen(s), you havent seen half the applications that are on your phone.

OP
E
Reaction score
Really grateful for that basic tip, Bob.
A whole new world has opened up.............and the problem is solved.
Of course, in the days of printed manuals such information would have been readily available - but I suppose that shows my age.
Grateful thanks, anyway.
Richard

C

chas_m

Not printed per se, but there IS a free book (ebook) available for your iPad from the iBookstore. If you have that installed, have a look.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.