Uninstalling Mavericks?

Reaction score
I want to uninstall the Mavericks OS and go back to Snow Leopard. I have the original Snow Leopard install DVD that came with my computer but it won't allow me to use the install option because of Mavericks. Heck, I can't even get to the option to format my HDD.

How do I get rid of Mavericks and reinstall Snow Leopard?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you boot the machine with your Snow Leopard install DVD? You should be able to boot from the DVD, skip the install process and go to the top menu: Utilities, Disk Utility. From there use Disk Utility to erase the drive but first make sure you remove the Mavericks recovery partition and get the drive setup again as one partition. After that, erase the drive, name it Macintosh HD, format it as Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID scheme.

After doing the above, continue to install Snow Leopard and all your apps from disk 2.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah I was able to boot it from the install DVD. So just erasing the drive and reinstalling Snow Leopard won't solve the issue? I need to follow your advice and remove the Mavericks' recovery partition and get the drive setup again as one partition? How do I remove the recovery partition and set it up as one? I have never done anything like this before.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, in order to downgrade back to Snow Leopard you need to follow what I stated in my reply above. Removing the recovery partition is easy enough. Try following these directions.

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay, i got you. I thought you were referring to something else. I know how to do it. All I need to do is erase the HDD and and it should work. That will get rid of any partitions I may have.Thanks for your info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.