Problems Setting Up E-mail Using ATT-U-verse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Today I switched from Time-Warner Cable to Att U-verse (U-verse ONLY for the internet - no TV or Phone through U-verse.). I am running a MacBookPro that's almost 6 yrs old - OSX and when using Time-Warner I used the Apple mail program. I am a tech idiot - the most basic technical things are hard for me. I am "on-line" with U-verse and can use my g-mail and go to all the website I could before the switch. I just cannot get the Apple mail program to send or receive e-mail since the switch to U-verse. I can't figure out the simple mail setting under "Mail - System Preferences". Can anyone talk me through this? Oh yeah, I have rebooted and all my software is up-to-date. Thanks!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There should have been no changes to the way you access your gmail account when you switched from TW to U-Verse. I suggest contacting U-Verse tech support assistance and ask if there is anything special in the way of setting up your mail account that you have to do in order to continue using gmail.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Your are right - there's no change in accessing gmail - but

I can click and go to and use " gmail " just as I could before I switched from Time-Warner Broad Band Cable to ATT U-verse for my internet provider.

My problem is trying to set my the Apple mail program - that's what I cannot do. ATT U-verse won't give any tech support on doing that. I am saying they should, just that I gave it a go and called them and they would not offer any help on setting up the Apple mail program. It worked great on Time-Warner but obviously changing internet providers will incur some mail setting changes and I am totally lost on that issue.

Thanks for your reply,
Bill

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It worked great on Time-Warner but obviously changing internet providers will incur some mail setting changes and I am totally lost on that issue.

Unfortunately, some ISPs don't want to have anything to do with Macs or the OS X operating systems. The best advice I can give you is to remove your mail account and start from the beginning to set it up again but this time with the information for U-Verse.

I'm assuming you're using PoP mail and not IMAP? If so, you'll need the PoP3 and SMTP addresses for gmail again so you can fill those in under "Accounts". You should also go direct to the gmail server and access your account and then change your password. Use the new password to setup Mail on your Mac.

One word of caution: Before removing your mail account, backup or copy all your mail messages to a safe place otherwise you will lose them.

Also, this link on how to setup Apple Mail for gmail may help: LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.