Mavericks vs Mountain Lion

Reaction score
It seems to me that Mountain Lion was a whole lot faster than Mavericks. With Mavericks, I keep betting brief pauses and pinwheels. Doing anything with Mavericks is like playing an online game that lags all the time. It is driving me insane. Is there anyway to fix this lagging problem?

Could the problem be the new way Mavericks compresses memory? Right now I have 1.2GB of compressed memory, and the only way I know how to get rid of that compressed memory is to restart the machine. I don’t want to have to restart every few hours just to boots the speed of the machine.

Also, I read somewhere that to go back to Mountain Lion I’d to wipe the hard drive and start over. ;_;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It would help if you listed your computer's spec's and size of your hard drive with available free space.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My iMac has been upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion to Mavericks and it works just the same through all the upgrades, never a hiccup or any lag on anything that I do..

Providing your Mac specs as requested by 'osxx' will greatly help isolate the issue..

OP
M
Reaction score
Information about my computer:

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 MacBook Pro from 2011.

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

250 GB Solid State Hard Drive with 15.5 GB free space

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
250 GB Solid State Hard Drive with 15.5 GB free space

15.5gig of free space is the problem. This means that your SSD is about 94% full. Not enough free space for the computer to operate efficiently.

Doesn't matter what OS is installed (Mountain Lion or Mavericks).

HTH,

- Nick

C

chas_m

To directly answer your question: the "compressed memory" feature of Mavericks is in no way, shape or form whatsoever contributing to your lags. As others have mentioned, you're very low of free drive space and that is likely the main culprit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.