• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iMic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
A friend of mine has asked me if I'll record a few demo tracks for his band. I told him that I'd do it.

I know GarageBand, his band has equipment, I just need a way to record line-in audio to my Mac. Since I'm not interested in blowing enormous amounts (or even small ones) of money on a mixer, I figured the iMic would work, however, I'd like to know of people's experience with it. Is the audio quality good? Is it easy to work with? Any issues with faulty units?

Reaction score
just plug it in the back.. or side since you have a powerbook. the xlr to 3.5 mm coinverter is the hardest to get your hands on.

Reaction score
I use it with Garageband, only with either an electro acoustic or guitar via an effects unit, but the quality is fine. No background noise. As long as you can turn all inputs into the 3.5mm jack you'll be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I have used the imic for recording records to my itunes library. Not bad, and it won't break your budget.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
EDIT-XTREEM said:
just plug it in the back.. or side since you have a powerbook. the xlr to 3.5 mm coinverter is the hardest to get your hands on.

I've got an XLR-> 1/4" and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, so I should be good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The iMic is okay, but I found to to be noisy when I was transferring audio from my tape deck to my iBook.

It should work fine for your needs if you're on a budget. If you want to spend a little more (~$150), you might want to look into the M-Audio MobilePre USB. This is what we use to record our podcast, and it rocks.

B

Badger

I've used the iMic to record about 300 LPs and cassettes to my hard drive; I also use it for a VOIP headset. I've never had a problem with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.