Cant get in to the recovery mode

Reaction score
Hi, i am trying to reinstall Maverick for my imac.

But every time i am trying to get in to the recovery mode, my Mac will just shut down or just reboots. Even when i try, to do a Internet recovery with "cmd+r" the Mac will just shut down. So there is no way, to get in to the recovery mode for me. Does anyone have a idea what i am doing wrong?

OP
T
Reaction score
Well i whant to reinstall, because obviously somethings not right with the system.

I can't get in to the Recovery Partition. When i click on the "Recovery Partition" it gets me to the point, where the Apple logo comes and its loading, then after a few seconds, it just shuts down the System and i have to reboot again.

I just downloaded the "OS X Recovery Disk Assistant v1.0" i made a bootable usb stick. I reboot the System and select the "Recovery Disk Assistant" but same thing, it loads and after a few seconds, it just shuts down again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Firstly I wanted to mention that this process is better termed...trying to boot the computer into the Recovery Partition (not "recovery mode")...since the
"Recovery Partition" can do more than just reinstall the OS.:)

Doing the command + r keyboard combo should get you into your computers recovery partition. One other way is to hold down the "option" key. Then you select the HD partition you want to boot into. This may or may not produce the same results as command + r...but it is something you could try.

Depending on your reasons for reinstalling Mavericks...not being able to boot the computer into the recovery partition could be something to o with the HD itself...uch as the HD is dead or dying. But like I mentioned...this depends on your reason for the reinstall.

The recovery partition is a pretty "robust" area/partition. So it's usually an area that is pretty hard to mess up (not much you can do there to mess things up). If you cannot boot into the recovery partition properly...it may be a sign that the HD is messed up/not very "healthy".

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i whant to reinstall, because obviously somethings not right with the system.

This is really not providing us with much info to go on. What you say is "obvious"...is not obvious to us...because we cannot see what your computer is doing over the internet.:)

You need you to describe to us what "obvious" things your computer is or is not doing...so we can better help you determine what's wrong...and if reinstalling Mavericks via the recovery partition will even help solve the problems.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Well i testet my HD with Smart Utility and it says my HD is just fine.
Otherwise my system seems to be running fine, so i don't think ist a HD problem.

Could it be a Virus, Malware etc. ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I can't get in to the Recovery Partition.

I think you more or less answered your own question with the first statement above. There is likely something very wrong if you can't boot to the Recovery Partition. Like Nick stated, it could be a bad hard drive or it could even be corruption. And no, it isn't a virus or malware.

Do you have an install disk to your Mac from a previous version of OS X? If not, you may have to erase the hard drive, reinstall Mavericks and hope the hard drive is OK.

OP
T
Reaction score
I think you more or less answered your own question with the first statement above. There is likely something very wrong if you can't boot to the Recovery Partition. Like Nick stated, it could be a bad hard drive or it could even be corruption.

Do you have an install disk to your Mac from a previous version of OS X? If you do, boot with it and verify the hard drive. If not, you may have to erase the hard drive, reinstall Mavericks and hope the hard drive is OK.

No i don't have a install Disk, i bought the Mac with Lion on it. But I made partition with Maverick.dmg on my HD. I did this before and it worked, but now i just can't get in to the Recovery Partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No i don't have a install Disk, i bought the Mac with Lion on it. But I made partition with Maverick.dmg on my HD. I did this before and it worked, but now i just can't get in to the Recovery Partition.

OK, let's see if we can follow you here.... Your Mac came pre-installed with Lion. Did you download and install Mavericks from the Mac App Store? Mavericks is only available from Apple and does not come or download as a .dmg. So where did you get Mavericks from?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes that is correct, i downloaded Maverick from the Store. Would it help, if i just reinstalled the maverick.dmg, that i downloaded from the store?

OP
T
Reaction score
Mavericks is only available from Apple and does not come or download as a .dmg. So where did you get Mavericks from?

Well it is called InstallESD.dmg and it is in the SharedSupport folder. But it is from the Maverick download.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i testet my HD with Smart Utility and it says my HD is just fine.
Otherwise my system seems to be running fine, so i don't think ist a HD problem.

Could it be a Virus, Malware etc. ?

In your 2nd post above you said that "Well i whant to reinstall, because obviously somethings not right with the system."

You still haven't told us what's obvisously not right with the system...what is going on??

Testing the HD with "Smart Utility"...and finding out that the HD is just fine...is telling me there is NOT a problem. AND you said above..."otherwise my system seems to be running fine"

I'm not hearing/seeing anything unusual or negative in your posts regarding what's "obviously not right with the system".

So I personally do not understand why you are trying to reinstall Mavericks??? Confused.:Confused: Be specific...what is obviously not right?

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, just wanted to be sure you had the right download. You can re-download and install Mavericks again if you choose to do so. Just access the Mac App store and select Purchased. You should see Mavericks available for download again.

OP
T
Reaction score
In your 2nd post above you said that "Well i whant to reinstall, because obviously somethings not right with the system."

You still haven't told us what's obvisously not right wiht the system...what is going on??

Testing the HD with "Smart Utility"...and finding out that the HD is just fine...is telling me there is NOT a problem. AND you said above..."otherwise my system seems to be running fine"

I'm not hearing/seeing anything unusual or negative in your posts regarding what's "obviously not right with the system".

So I personally do not understand why you are trying to reinstall Mavericks??? Confused.:Confused:

- Nick

Well i just like to reinstall my Systems every couple of months, thats just something i like doing. Yes i know "that just stupid" but the thing with recovery, i want it even more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i just like to reinstall my Systems every couple of months, thats just something i like doing. Yes i know "that just stupid" but the thing with recovery, i want it even more.

Hey...if that's what you want to do...no problem...it's your computer...you get to do what you want.:)

I was only asking what was specifically wrong...since you mentioned in an earlier post that..."Well i whant to reinstall, because obviously somethings not right with the system." When someone says this...then there must be specific problems needing resolution.

Now it sounds what you're really saying is...nothing is really wrong...and you like to reinstall the OS every so often. A lot of folks here would disagree with that...but like I said...it's your computer...you get to do what you want.:)

Motor on,:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, i might try that. I am installing Maverick at the Moment and hope to get in the recovery partition after that again.

OP
T
Reaction score
I just finished reinstalling Maverick and it now works again. I can start the Recovery Partition and erase my HD. So something was wrong with the System :p I can now do a clean install.

Thanks for the help and have good day.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just finished reinstalling Maverick and it now works again. I can start the Recovery Partition and erase my HD. So something was wrong with the System :p I can now do a clean install.

Thanks for the help and have good day.

Congrats. Great to hear everything is working fine.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.