Which One's the Bad Guy- Java or JavaScript?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Good Day All!
I've searched & searched for the answer to a puzzlement and managed to get quite confused.

Is Java safe to have on the Mac running OS X 10.6.8? Should it be disabled in the operating system and the browsers, just the browsers or neither one?

Is JavaScript safe to have on the Mac. Should it be disabled?

I do have one program that requires Java to run (CrashPlan). I'd also assume lots of web sites need one or the other.

I apologize for asking a basic questions, but my searching revealed answers ranging from "It's All Good- No Worries" to "The Bad Guys Are Going To Get You If You Have Either".

I this forum, search results for JavaScript came up empty and for Java, too. But, I know they must be here somewhere.

This is the place for real & knowledgeable answers, so here I am!
Thanks Very Much!
Paul

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank You Harryb2448.
That is an interesting article. Java Preferences.app on my computer shows 1 .6.0_65-b14-46A in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

The article addresses 1.6.0_37
So, based on the article, am I correct that it's OK to leave Java enabled?
Thanks Again,
Paul

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My advice - if you don't need Java, disable it. It doesn't create a gaping hole on your machine or anything but disabling it does add a tiny bit more security.

As for JavaScript, you don't have it "on your Mac" per se - the runtimes are built into applications (primarily web browsers). You can disable each browser's JavaScript execution if you want but if you do, you're going to have a bad time on the web. For example, this page loads 22 external JavaScript files not to mention the JS built into the page itself.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank You

Thanks VanSmith for your reply.

Your words explained what's what & who's who quite thoroughly, thus clearing up my confusion.

I appreciate your help and your help, HarryB2448. I learned quite a bit today. It is always a good day when something is learned.

Enjoy Today!
Paul

Reaction score
java vs javascript

While the two have similar in names , both are two totally different programming languages. Java is a full featured, all purpose, programming language that is mainly used in server side, mobile development and also run in browsers. To compile java based programs you need JDK+JRE set up in your computer. Since java is pure object oriented programming language everything you do is under a class. It follows very strict typing and enforces casting of references. More about...Java and Javascript

Anto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I think he got it this thread is three years old.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Anto for the interesting information!
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.