IPhone Purchase first time?

Reaction score
I am going smartphones, I own a Mac OSX at home, love Apple, so what is the best Iphone to purchase, best deal and best simple iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
One thing i noticed about myself and friends we all started out with 16gb phones but most all of us eventually went to 32gb capacity phones because we started taking more video,pictures and storing more music not to mention adding apps.

OP
G
Reaction score
Good advise. I have been with Verizon for many years, looking around now for the best deal and coverage. I have an IPad Mini we use for credit cards at Farmers Markets, selling that and going with the smartphones.
Do you know if the Iphone 5c is compatible with Bluetooth and can you have customers sign on the screen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you know if the Iphone 5c is compatible with Bluetooth and can you have customers sign on the screen.

The 5c has Bluetooth built in which is turned on by default. I have mine turned off to save battery since I don't use BT. As far as having customers sign on the screen, yes it's possible if you hold the phone in landscape mode. I personally would continue using the Mini if you already have it setup to do CC.

If you're already a Verizon customer, you can purchase an iPhone from them outright or subsidized. Check with their customer service or on line for plans, fees, etc. Every carrier requires a data plan if you use a smart phone with them. The cost for data is in addition to the phone fee and other charges. (It's different than using an iPad or tablet.)

C

chas_m

The "best" iPhone is of course the iPhone 5s, which is why its also the most expensive. It has some significant advantages over the other currently-available iPhones -- faster, better camera, Touch ID, better graphics subsystem.

But for your stated purpose an iPhone 4S or 5c would be more than fine. As a phone, all the models are basically equal. I hear Apple will be putting out an 8GB entry-level iPhone 5c later today so if you don't think you need much storage, you might go with that (it will be cheap).

OP
G
Reaction score
Very Helpful Info, One more question

I am selling the Ipad Mini as mentioned, don't need two devises and cannot afford two, when i sell the devise do I delete everything or will ATT do it. If I need to do it, how? Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I hear Apple will be putting out an 8GB entry-level iPhone 5c later today so if you don't think you need much storage, you might go with that (it will be cheap).
It's rumoured to be about $500 for an 8GB phone, that's not cheap. ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
I checked it out, your right that is not cheap. I am upgrading with Verizon from regular phones to smartphones and they gave ma a great deal, two new Iphone 5c, 32 gb free with two year contract, been with them for over 20 years.
I could wait and see if they give me the Iphone 5s, is there any great advantage for regular use,?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Please look at this page for differences between the 5S an 5C.

At a quick glance, the 5C is missing the M7 motion co-processor, fingerprint identify, and a couple of video features. Other than that, it's the same.

I would hate to generalize an answer based on "regular use", since your definition is going to vary from the next user whose user you might deem "advanced"..

I will, however, say that if the iPhone 5C is going to be your first smartphone, it is chock full of way more features than you will ever use, but as you get comfortable with it, you might decide there are other features you are interested in with your next upgrade..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And... I believe the camera in the iPhone 5c is the same as the 5s but other than that, the features mentioned above are correct.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chas. I was informed by another article that the 5c camera is the same as the iPhone 5 camera not the 5s. So you are correct. I'm really not much of a photographer or camera bug. I let my wife do all the picture taking. ;)

C

chas_m

For the record, I recently bought something at a trade show and the vendor was using a Square reader with an iPhone 5c. As you would expect, the whole thing worked flawlessly, though I wish I'd had a stylus handy for the signature part ...

OP
G
Reaction score
I appreciate all the great advise and heads up info on the iPhones, I am seriously considering switching from Verizon to ATT where they have the iPhone 5s for free, it is like new but I hear they are great. I can get that phone for free and get a descent data plan for my limited data requirements and have the unlimited talk, tact and voicemail stuff. Anyone have any experience with the 5s and ATT?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would be very wary of any "free" deal from AT&T. No one is going to give you an iPhone 5s for free without some kind of subsidized contract for two years. I checked into AT&T data plans and their subsidizing and found it was expensive - and I get a 20% discount from them because of former employment.

C

chas_m

He might mean a 4S actually.

My experience with AT&T, when I lived in the US, was good -- I tend to live and work in big cities, so I never ran into an issue with coverage (unlike, say, T-Mobile, which has definite "dead spots" around the country). Corporate-owned AT&T stores have been in my experience helpful and friendly, though until recently it was quite the challenge to get them to unlock an off-contract phone.

The 4S, the 5c and 5s are literally "good, better, best" in terms of phones. For basic use, any of them will be fine, but the higher you go the more features and better cameras and speed (of processor/graphics) you get.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.