os 9 issue!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW
hi, i have an ibook 466 and its currently running panther 10.3.9. i want to install os 9 in another volume so i can boot to either os 9 or panther. i have installed os 9 before but once i do startup disk to os 9, i cant get back to panther. is there a way to have both at once?? im sure there is i just am not mac savy enough to do it. there are a few programs i want to run that need os9. any help, maybe even a walk through would be greatly appreciated!! thanks a bunch!!
-dave-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
do you just need to run Os 9 programs, or do you want to boot the computer into OS 9? Panther should have classic built in. Go to system preferences and click on
"Classic" Then click on "Start Classic" After classic loads, you will be able to run OS 9 programs in OS X. No need to switch back and fourth!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I'm fairly sure you'll have to partition your hard drive to support both of the Operating Systems. Use a program like iPartition to do it without erasing anything. Name the new partition something like "OS9" and use the install disk to install to that partition.

Then when ever you boot, hold down "Option" and the computer will look for an alternate boot file, and it should find Mac OS9's ROM image on that other partition.

Classic is great for just running the programs, but you're never *truly* in OS9.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW
macEfan said:
do you just need to run Os 9 programs, or do you want to boot the computer into OS 9? Panther should have classic built in. Go to system preferences and click on
"Classic" Then click on "Start Classic" After classic loads, you will be able to run OS 9 programs in OS X. No need to switch back and fourth!

i tried your idea and it says...You do not have a version of Mac OS 9 installed that supports Classic. Install Mac OS 9.1 or later.
thats what i always get! tahts why im here now haha

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
surfwax95 said:
I'm fairly sure you'll have to partition your hard drive to support both of the Operating Systems. Use a program like iPartition to do it without erasing anything. Name the new partition something like "OS9" and use the install disk to install to that partition.

Then when ever you boot, hold down "Option" and the computer will look for an alternate boot file, and it should find Mac OS9's ROM image on that other partition.

Classic is great for just running the programs, but you're never *truly* in OS9.

ok, how big do i make the partition?? or will it do it automatically?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You would have to use Disk Utility, found in Applications/Utilities.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
surfwax95 said:
You would have to use Disk Utility, found in Applications/Utilities.

ok, what size do i make the partition for os 9??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would make it at least 4 GB, that would leave you around 3GB for storage "in" OS9. I don't know how large your hard drive is, so make sure you have at least 8GB for the OSX side of the install.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
surfwax95 said:
I would make it at least 4 GB, that would leave you around 3GB for storage "in" OS9. I don't know how large your hard drive is, so make sure you have at least 8GB for the OSX side of the install.

alrighty, thankyou very much! :)

R

radarbob

I'm fairly sure you'll have to partition your hard drive to support both of the Operating Systems.
This is not required. I installed both on a single volume. To change OS's [in OS X] goto system preferences/startup disk and choose OS 9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah yes, good catch RadarBob.

Doing it this way, you'll still be able to simply hold "Option" at Boot to switch OSs.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
surfwax95 said:
Ah yes, good catch RadarBob.

Doing it this way, you'll still be able to simply hold "Option" at Boot to switch OSs.

thats a swell idea :) i will do it and let you all know the results! thankyou for all this advice! i have done it this way before but never knew about holding the "options" key to switch back. so i was stuck on os 9!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
THANKYOU EVERYONE for you help!! it worked great! :batman: < thats just awesome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem! Glad you got it up and running. :mac:

Man, that makes me wish badly that my Powerbook G4 could daul boot OS9 and OSX.

I hate that they took that away on the newer G4s. I'm going to buy an iBook G3 soon, just so I can boot both of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.