RAM question (don't know what to do : did my research)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
I own a Macbook Pro (mid 2012) i5, 2,5 Ghz with 2x 2GB (Apple) RAM , and I have done extensive research on a RAM upgrade and I have figured out what to look for (e.g. DDR3, 1600Mhz, PC3-12800, 204 Pin etc etc). I use my Mac extensively with Logic Pro X (and numerous audio plugins and software synths) as well as the odd movie making in Final Cut Pro.

I am pretty limited in what and where I can buy RAM (as I have 100 EURO in vouchers to be spent in one particular shop. I can choose between Kingston or Kingmax. I read that Kingston (when choosing the right RAM) is compatible with Macs, and on some forums I read that their RAM works great with a Macbook Pro)

There is one issue that has different opinions:It seems that RAM modules for the Macbook Pro need to be 1.35 Volts, but on so many forums people are saying that any RAM which needs 1,5 Volts (Corsair, Kingston) also works flawlessly. I have also heard that people who replaced their Macbook Pro (2012) RAM, found out that the Apple installed RAM was also @ 1.5 Volts (not 1,35 Volts). So what is the issue with the voltage, is it really such a big deal? (from what I read, it is not)

As I have limited options I kindly ask for your advise on what RAM I should use (I wish to install 1x 8GB not 2x 4GB) - the site is in Romanian but I think one can figure out the details pretty easily)

Memorie Kingston 8GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, SODIMM - eMAG.ro

Memorie Kingston HyperX blu 8GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, 1.5V - eMAG.ro

Memorie Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, CL10, 1.5V - eMAG.ro

I have also had a look at the Kingston website (http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?DeviceType=3&Mfr=APP&Line=MacBook Pro (DDR3)&Model=78047# ), which actually makes a URL referral to another webshop in Romania where I can buy 8GB of Macbook Pro compatible RAM (which is identical to to the 1st RAM option mentioned at Emag.ro)

All 3 of them ar 1,5 Volts, 1600 Mhz , 204 pin , and all compatible with Apple Macbook Pro's .The only difference seems to be with the latency (CL11 vs CL9 vs CL10). Any major difference between HyperX Black (CL10) and HyperX Blue (CL9) ? Or should I go with the RAM in the 1st link? (CL11)

Which one should I choose?

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Lower CL timings = faster memory = higher price.
With the particular work you have mentioned, you "might notice" an improvement with the lower CAS ratings.

None of the part numbers match anything Kingston recommends for your Mac.
They may all work, could be none of them will work.

There is an issue of memory not working at the lower 1.35 volts.
We recently had a member (was either in Sweden or Poland I think) that had purchased an upgraded RAM from the local Apple reseller with his new Mac - wouldn't work - they actually replaced his Mac twice before they figured out the issue was the 1.5v RAM they had been putting into his computer.

Down to your issue - no Apple reseller close - can you walk in to that shop - if it doesn't work, what is the return policy of that store?

If you can walk in - I'd carry the MBP with you and try the Blue modules right there in the store.

The higher end modules will have both a lower CAS rating (CL) and typically will run at a wider range of voltages. These are what the overclockers are buying. I'm personally not a fan of the "value ram" from any manufacturer and don't recommend it unless the manufacturer states it will work in a Mac and the user of that Mac doesn't do much of any CPU/memory intensive work on their machine - purchasing "value ram" not specifically for a Mac is where you're going to see the highest percentage of incompatibility.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
Thank you all for the comments. The shop (emag.ro) I mentioned does not sell OWC or Crucial RAM and due to me having vouchers to spend I cannot go anywhere else. In the end I figured out that my stock RAM (2x 2GB DDR3) of my Macbook Pro Mid 2012 has a CAS latency of 11 (at 1,5 volts). Therefore the RAM I found (Kingston, 1600 mhz PC3-12800, 1,5 volts, CAS 11, 204 pin) seems to be the best option.

I am buying it today, and will let you know the result. (

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just had the Kingston DDR3 (PC3-12800) 1600mhz 8G module (product number: kvr16s11 ) installed in slot 0 (and the remaining 2GB of stock RAM remained in slot 1) now totalling 10GB of RAM.

I opened Logic Pro X with 30 audio tracks (x 3 plugins per audio track) and WOW, it just did not overload (as it would have done with 2x 2GB of stock RAM). iPhoto opened in 2,5 seconds (with 2x 2GB it was more like 20+ seconds).

I am very very pleased with the result. Perhaps in the future I will take out the other 2GB stock RAM and add another 8 GB of RAM.

PS: for those interested, the DDR3 memory fact sheet for the Macbook Pro mid 2012 is based on part number HMT325S6CFR8C made by SK Hynix from China.

https://www.skhynix.com/inc/pdfDown.../ds_2Gb_DDR3(C-ver)based_SODIMMs(Rev.1.0).pdf

The supply voltage for this RAM is:

VDD=1.5V +/- 0.075V
VDDQ=1.5V +/- 0.075V

We can therefore safely assume that in this case Apple's DDR Ram in the Macbook Pro (mid 2012) is 1,5 V, not 1,35 V ! (as there were a number of discussions on other forums mentioning the fact that 3rd party RAM with 1,5 V could create issues as many assumed the RAM voltage was 1,35 in the Macbook Pro 2012)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nope if OWC says it is 1.35v that is what it is.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope if OWC says it is 1.35v that is what it is.

Why would you say that? OWC is the manufacturer of this stock RAM?

I have the Apple stock RAM (1x 2GB) next to me, which mentions a part number, which -if you Google it- gets you to the exact spec PDF mentioning that the voltage is 1,5 not 1,35 (this applies to my Macbook Pro mid 2012 i5)

Reaction score
Both 1.35 and 1.5v work

Why would you say that? OWC is the manufacturer of this stock RAM?

I have the Apple stock RAM (1x 2GB) next to me, which mentions a part number, which -if you Google it- gets you to the exact spec PDF mentioning that the voltage is 1,5 not 1,35 (this applies to my Macbook Pro mid 2012 i5)

I know this is way old, but anyone finding this thread should know I've had success with multiple MacBook Pro Mid-2012 units using both 1.35 and 1.5v ram. I believe the 1600L standard states the chips should work at 1.35 but are also compatible with 1.5v too.

Using the slightly lowered powered ram MIGHT help a little with power-throttling ( this macbook can draw more power than the adapter can provide ). But otherwise I don't think it makes a difference.

The CL9 ram would be faster - I don't know if it's noticeably faster, like you'd immediately notice it's doing things faster, but the benchmarks certainly show a slight increase in memory speed/throughput.

I'm sure the poster is fine with whichever ram he chose, but if you're looking to upgrade one of these you should get:

SODIMM DDR3-1600L 1.35v CL9

The difference in price is like $20 for CL9 vs. CL11 ram, but I'm of the mind every little bit of speed helps. Good luck everyone and peace!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.