Bad RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
i was just on the MacFixIt.com website and i saw this post about Bad RAM on the new Powerbooks. has anybody encountered this problem? what exactly does it entail? and how would one identify "bad" RAM? thanks.

B

BlueMeanie

OS X is more sensitive to bad ram than any other OS (mac or PC) that i have ever seen. I do tech support for a university and work with both PCs and Macs. A couple months ago i setup two brand new g4 mirror dualy 1.25 (as i remember). Both proffs wanted VPC XP but only had 256 RAM so i suggested they each get a 512 stick... both turned out bad. In both cases the machine became VERY unstable.... I have used all the released OS X versions and 10.2 and after i have seen to be very stable. Well, stick a bad RAM stick in and that will change... also apple hardware test (hold option key to startup with OS install cd in) gave a kernel panic in both cases when the detailed test was run. Returned the sticks, got new ones that were fine.... note: the larger the RAM stick the harder it is for the manufacturer to test.... the number of possible states increases exponentially,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.