90 day iTunes device association rule

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I recently purchased an iPhone 4 second hand from a seller on eBay.
I sent her an article on how to prepare an iPhone for resale and she followed the instructions to the letter thanking me for the info.
I backed up my old iPhone 4 to iTunes then returned it to factory settings.
I then used iTunes to restore the new iPhone and gave it a new name. So my new iPhone was now a duplicate of my old one with all my apps and settings preserved. Smooth huh?
BUT, when I opened Music I discovered a list of artists and albums on iCloud that belonged to the previous owner.
Puzzled I had a look at My Devices in my iTunes account (I had already removed my old iPhone) sure enough my new iPhone was added but it stated that it could not be "Associated" with my account for 90 days.
I don't use iTunes match and most of my music is from CD's so not really a problem for me but I can see it could be a problem for others.
I have read a number of other forum threads on this subject and there are a lot of angry users out there, people with more than one Apple ID and especially multiple users on the same device.
My question is why is this rule applied and is there any way to get around it?

C

chas_m

Why is this rule applied?

Because that way thieves can't quickly change your stolen phone to their own account. It's meant to be a deterrent (Apple has since come up with better ones as well)

Is there any way to get around it?

No. It is a pity that the seller either forgot to disassociate the device from her iTunes account (or perhaps your instructions didn't cover this?), but there's no way around it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
@ Chas, can't he just do a recovery on the iPhone. I have had to do that with a few iPods I gave to my cousins. They keep putting pass codes in them and locking their own self out..

I been doing this by shutting down the iPod completely. Then pressing the home button and while holding the home button, plugging the cable into the device. This will initiate recovery mode. But you loose all data, music, files, etc.. On the iPod. Its starts fresh like you just purchased it. There is better instruction on Apples website. Though even following them it took me a few tries each time to get it to work.

Cheers,
Joe

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Why is this rule applied?

Because that way thieves can't quickly change your stolen phone to their own account. It's meant to be a deterrent (Apple has since come up with better ones as well)

Is there any way to get around it?

No. It is a pity that the seller either forgot to disassociate the device from her iTunes account (or perhaps your instructions didn't cover this?), but there's no way around it.

Dear Chas, perhapes you are a single male and do not, like many people, share your home computer with the family. If so you would have noticed this issue already. And in addition my instructions did include removing her device from iCloud services and in iTunes devices unfortunately this does not circumvent the 90 day rule. See this thread; https://discussions.apple.com/message/24785858#24785858
This is a ridiculous rule which has implications for a lot more than the resale of iPhones. You can remove a device from your apple accounts but it still takes 90 days before that device can be associated with a new apple ID although, and this is just weird, it is immediately visible in your 'Find My Device" on iCloud.
Apple in their attempt to improve security have created huge problems for iOS7 users and they need to be worked out.
Cheers, Rod

C

chas_m

Dear Chas, perhapes you are a single male and do not, like many people, share your home computer with the family.

I'm a married male and think so highly of my own stuff that I don't share it, I buy her her own machine. By coincidence this is also Apple's preferred solution to the dilemma you're looking at. :)

(Sorry, not trying to make light of the issue, but seriously that is Apple's answer to the problem at this point -- buy each person their own machine rather than sharing)

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas, I figured it was a security issue and there are ways around it in relation to resale of iPhones but what about the case of the guy with two Apple ID's. I personally have two just due to being a long time user.
One thread I saw related to a guy who had a Apple ID for work and one for home. He made the mistake of logging into his work ID at home and downloaded some content. You can guess the consequences. I have spoken to Apple Support about this and they admit it is a problem. So even with your own device this rule can cause problems. I cant see why it cant be account specific rather than device specific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'm a married male and think so highly of my own stuff that I don't share it, I buy her her own machine. By coincidence this is also Apple's preferred solution to the dilemma you're looking at. :)

(Sorry, not trying to make light of the issue, but seriously that is Apple's answer to the problem at this point -- buy each person their own machine rather than sharing)

Many people share stuff - not just Apple stuff - it's the way people do things! Initially my wife and I shared the 'house' ipad. Then we bought an additional one and it took quite a time to separate individual apps etc. Now we have a third (a work one) and we've given up trying to get them all to sync with my iPad and her macbook. When we need to access an iPad we pick up the nearest, but this whole Apple ID thing just stinks and prevents us working as we want to work. Apple is supposed to make thing easy not put obstacles in our way at every turn. They really need to sort out these matters before the next generation of products.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many people share stuff - not just Apple stuff - it's the way people do things! Initially my wife and I shared the 'house' ipad. Then we bought an additional one and it took quite a time to separate individual apps etc. Now we have a third (a work one) and we've given up trying to get them all to sync with my iPad and her macbook. When we need to access an iPad we pick up the nearest, but this whole Apple ID thing just stinks and prevents us working as we want to work. Apple is supposed to make thing easy not put obstacles in our way at every turn. They really need to sort out these matters before the next generation of products.

Go Sawday, I feel your pain. Apple openly admit this strategy of thiers is to prevent sharing (pirating) of iTunes purchases but it is so easy to get around either using Home Sharing or third party apps I don't know why they bother. Once a device, be it an iPad, laptop or desktop is Authorised to play iTunes content it shouldn't matter who logs in with which Apple ID. After all you can only Authorise a limited number of devices. This issue of the 90 day rule is about iCloud more than anything. I did ask Apple support what would happen if I downloaded all of the music from the previous iPhone owners iCloud account then used a third party app to record it. I asked, doesn't this defeat the whole point? The Apple rep didn't have an answer to that.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What gets me, is what happens when you die ?? You have been a iTunes Account holder for 30-40 years with 10,000 songs, 100's movies and TV shows and 3000+ Apps. Where do they go when you die ??

There are the big stars like Bono and John Travolta, because they are rich have this amount already, and they want to pas it on to their children when the time comes, but they can't at the moment :( Thats the sad part, all those 10's of 000's of $ sent go down the drain, and basically become the proper of Apple again

This makes my blood boil :-<

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What gets me, is what happens when you die ?? You have been a iTunes Account holder for 30-40 years with 10,000 songs, 100's movies and TV shows and 3000+ Apps. Where do they go when you die ??

There are the big stars like Bono and John Travolta, because they are rich have this amount already, and they want to pas it on to their children when the time comes, but they can't at the moment :( Thats the sad part, all those 10's of 000's of $ sent go down the drain, and basically become the proper of Apple again

This makes my blood boil :-<
Hiya Tattooed Mac, I have been interested in this topic for a while and wrote a thread about it but you are right. Digital property has been a bit of an issue for a while. I found this draft document at a legal site.
Digital Assets. My executor shall have the power to access, handle, distribute and dispose of my digital assets.

“Digital Assets.” “Digital assets” includes files stored on my digital devices, including but not limited to, desktops, laptops, tablets, peripherals, storage devices, mobile telephones, smartphones, and any similar digital device which currently exists or may exist as technology develops or such comparable items as technology develops. The term “digital assets” also includes but is not limited to emails received, email accounts, digital music, digital photographs, digital videos, software licenses, social network accounts, file sharing accounts, financial accounts, domain registrations, DNS service accounts, web hosting accounts, tax preparation service accounts, online stores, affiliate programs, other online accounts and similar digital items which currently exist or may exist as technology develops or such comparable items as technology develops, regardless of the ownership of the physical device upon which the digital item is stored.
Optionally you may want to specify another individual who is more technologically savvy to assist the executor in handling digital assets.
I authorize my executor to engage _____________ to assist in accessing, handling, distributing and disposing of my digital assets.
Finally it may be desirable to reference an external list of digital assets and relevant user names and passwords.
I have prepared a memorandum with instructions concerning my digital assets and their access, handling, distribution and disposition. I direct my executor and beneficiaries to follow my instructions concerning my digital assets.

Sorry for the "wall of text", so far as I know only Google has put in place an option for accounts that have not been activated for a set time, contacting nominated family members with an access code to allow them to download your content.
Cheers, Rod

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think there will be a legal precedent established soon regarding the matter of digital property. There have been several instances already in the USA. The parents of a deceased military serviceman trying to access their son's Facebook account, parents of a young girl who suicided trying to access her social media to find out if she had been the victim of online bullying. The list goes on and it is obvious that some sort of mechanism needs to be put in place. Obviously a warrant can be issued to access this info where criminal action is suspected but that doesn't cover digital property.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hiya Tattooed Mac, I have been interested in this topic for a while and wrote a thread about it but you are right. Digital property has been a bit of an issue for a while. I found this draft document at a legal site.
Digital Assets. My executor shall have the power to access, handle, distribute and dispose of my digital assets.

“Digital Assets.” “Digital assets” includes files stored on my digital devices, including but not limited to, desktops, laptops, tablets, peripherals, storage devices, mobile telephones, smartphones, and any similar digital device which currently exists or may exist as technology develops or such comparable items as technology develops. The term “digital assets” also includes but is not limited to emails received, email accounts, digital music, digital photographs, digital videos, software licenses, social network accounts, file sharing accounts, financial accounts, domain registrations, DNS service accounts, web hosting accounts, tax preparation service accounts, online stores, affiliate programs, other online accounts and similar digital items which currently exist or may exist as technology develops or such comparable items as technology develops, regardless of the ownership of the physical device upon which the digital item is stored.
Optionally you may want to specify another individual who is more technologically savvy to assist the executor in handling digital assets.
I authorize my executor to engage _____________ to assist in accessing, handling, distributing and disposing of my digital assets.
Finally it may be desirable to reference an external list of digital assets and relevant user names and passwords.
I have prepared a memorandum with instructions concerning my digital assets and their access, handling, distribution and disposition. I direct my executor and beneficiaries to follow my instructions concerning my digital assets.

Sorry for the "wall of text", so far as I know only Google has put in place an option for accounts that have not been activated for a set time, contacting nominated family members with an access code to allow them to download your content.
Cheers, Rod

Not so much a wall now ;) Just wrap it in [QUOTES][/QUOTES] next time FYI . . . .

Bit interesting piece of text. Im sure this is only in the US at the moment, but there will be a time where Apple will have to face up to the fact that this is going to happen. When my grandfather past, he handed down all his 35's and 44's to my Mother, and she is going to do the same to me. He bought them, but now my Mother owns them. The record companies don't care, so why NOW ?? It real is such a sour taste in my mouth, but thanks for that insight :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Regarding what happens when you die...A recent case here in the UK focused exactly on that. A mother left her iPad to her son but not her passwords. Apple has told the family there is nothing they can do and that the iPad is now a flat paperweight and everything is lost. A court case would cost more than a new iPad and contents.

C

chas_m

The "solution" to this issue is fairly obvious: keep a record of your Apple ID password in a safe deposit box or somewhere else safe so your family can get it after you die. They can then continue using it for your digital files for as long as they wish/such a system is in operation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The "solution" to this issue is fairly obvious: keep a record of your Apple ID password in a safe deposit box or somewhere else safe so your family can get it after you die. They can then continue using it for your digital files for as long as they wish/such a system is in operation.

The thing is Chas, IMO it really shouldn't be a issue. Apple should have the ability, even it its with a death certificate as evidence, to merge accounts when someone passes on. Not just Apple, but I'm sure the Google Play Sore and Amazon would be the same at the moment, but its just not cricket . . . .

M

MacInWin

On the other side of the argument, Apple is being "encouraged" by threats from DAs in NY and CA to make their products less attractive to thieves by putting in kill switches. So Apple (and other digital rights folks) are facing a dilemma: Do we make devices tightly tied to ONE person and really clamp down hard on that to make the DAs happy, or do we make it so that we can release the device to someone who claims it belongs to them now, through the death of the original owner? And if the latter, how do we satisfy the DA demands that we KNOW the person is actually dead? Apple doesn't want to get into the business of collecting and verifying death certificates, worldwide.

It's a tough problem, no easy solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.