New MBP 2010 Logic board, increased speed?

Reaction score
So i have been scouring the internet recently as my daughter performed a perfect roundhouse kick to the side of my laptop, causing screen distortion. After taking it to Apple, the tech originally said it was the display due to the screen "effect" not transfering to the external display. I was getting a pink "fuzz" in white areas and a "matrix" style distortion in black areas.

The funny thing was (really not that funny) that when i squeezed the right side of the MBP chassis is disappeared. So after taking in and testing it apple came back and said that replacing the display did not remedy the issue.

It was the logic board…..

So $650 later i have my computer back and life is good.

I seem to be noticing a general speed bump and i don't seem to find much info online as to if this is a "placebo" effect or if i indeed now have a slightly quicker computer…

Perhaps some slight "improvements" have occurred and thats what i am noticing. I am not sure and due to my analytic nature i have come here to attempt enlightenment.

Anyone else see an improvement with a new logic board? How do i find more info on it…. its apple part # 661-6363 Logic Board, 2.8 GHz.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It was the logic board…..

So $650 later i have my computer back and life is good.

I hate to say it…but depending on the exact 2010 model laptop we are talking about...spending $650 for a repair on it may not have been a great decision. Depending on the exact model…the total used value of the computer may not have been that much more than the cost of the repair.

It is rarely cost-effective to have the logic board replaced professionally on any Apple laptop computer that is more than 3 years old. Computer values depreciate so quickly (repair cost & replacement parts don't). So after 3-4+ years…the cost of having the logic board replaced is usually higher than the used value of the computer (working 100%).

I seem to be noticing a general speed bump and i don't seem to find much info online as to if this is a "placebo" effect or if i indeed now have a slightly quicker computer…

Perhaps some slight "improvements" have occurred and thats what i am noticing. I am not sure and due to my analytic nature i have come here to attempt enlightenment.

I'm assuming that you knew the original specs of the computer. If the specs of the replacement logic board (cpu speed, number of cpu's, graphics hardware)...are the same…then the speed/performance would be the same.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.