Opening Safari to Full Screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
Every time I open Safari it opens in a small window. I'd like it to open full screen and can't find a setting to make this happen. Is there any way to do this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of OS X are you using? If two opposing diagonal arrows appear in the top right corner of Safari, clicking on them expands Safari to full screen.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maverick 10.9.2

Yes, I know about the arrows. I want Safari to open in full screen without always having to click on the arrows when I open it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ah.. I see what you're asking. I don't think you can leave it full screen on stop and start unless you use Mission Control. And that will really only suspend it, not close it down.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess that's one thing Windows has over the Mac. In Windows, if you close your browser in full screen it will open up in full screen the next time you open it. But I'm not going back!!

Maybe the next revision will include that feature.

Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have BetterTouch Tool and I just created a Keyboard Shortcut ⌃⌥⌘F (Control, Option, Command, F) that when Safari is launched, I use this command and it goes straight into Full Screen. BTT is Free, but takes donations, and is a, can't do without App on my Mac, as i work in Keyboard Shortcuts, and Gestures, on trackpad and mouse on my MBP and iMac and now i have just added a new one, but yes, it can be done.

But not Automagically, unless you make a Automator Workflow, and then i'm not sure if it will work. So give BTT a looking at.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I guess that's one thing Windows has over the Mac. In Windows, if you close your browser in full screen it will open up in full screen the next time you open it. But I'm not going back!!

This is the way it works on my multiple Mac computers (laptops & desktops). The size of the Safari windows open up to the same exact size they were prior to a restart/reboot.

- Nick

Reaction score
I guess that's one thing Windows has over the Mac. In Windows, if you close your browser in full screen it will open up in full screen the next time you open it.
In Windows, you have one workspace, and every window opens in that space. A maximized window sits on top of every other window on that screen. In OS X, a full-screen app sits in its own workspace. The mechanics of the two are completely different.

With newer versions of OS X, if you always want Safari to be full-screen, make it full-screen then never close it. Every reboot, it will come back up full-screen.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the way it works on my multiple Mac computers (laptops & desktops). The size of the Safari windows open up to the same exact size they were prior to a restart/reboot.

- Nick

Nick, Your profile shows you're not running the latest OS version so I'm wondering if that's why it works for you and not on my machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, Your profile shows you're not running the latest OS version so I'm wondering if that's why it works for you and not on my machine.

There isn't enough room in my profile to list all of my computers that I use on a daily basis (3-5)!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Every time I open Safari it opens in a small window. I'd like it to open full screen and can't find a setting to make this happen. Is there any way to do this?

Apart tom my post above to get it into full screen, I think you should try repairing your Disk Permissions, as This could be a corrupt preference. I have had this before, Safari and Finder opening in the most minimised window it can be in, but after a Repair Permissions from Disk utility, it fixed the 'always' opening in the small window syndrome.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does doing a "Repair Permissions" action have any negative drawbacks? Can it cause more harm than good?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does doing a "Repair Permissions" action have any negative drawbacks? Can it cause more harm than good?

Nope…shouldn't…I've never had an issue.:) But then there's always someone out there that may figure out a way to get the "wires crossed". But honestly…I'm being more cynical than serious.;)

This feature in Disk Utility wouldn't be there if it were destructive.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No help. Even tried leaving Safari open and did a computer restart. Safari didn't open on computer startup so I started it and it opened up in a large window but not full screen like it was before the restart.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't think it would work..... I tried that myself. What Brent (Tattoo) suggested will work or you could use Mission Control.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give this a try (hopefully it's the same or similar with the Safari version in Mavericks). Go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- General
- In the section ("Number of recent items")…there's a box called "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps")…select it if it's not already checked.

Maybe this is the setting that controls this feature.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't have that option in Maverick, Nick. It does have an option to Close Windows when closing applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have my screen sized the way want it and it stays the same unless I change it regardless if I put it to sleep or reboot using the size tool in the corners, advantage over full screen I still have quick access to File,Edit and Bookmarks which I use a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I use Chrome, but I just fired up Safari as an experiment here and it opens in full screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.