Facebook and Activity Scanner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A little help please.

Since the OS X.9.2 update, I have a FaceTime application which I cannot delete and each and every morning on booting I get a log in to Facebook Account window. I do not have a Facebook account however I think my youngest son does and he has been with me since the passing of my wife and using my ADSL network.

Now, daily I am being bombarded with dozens of messages from desperate young ladies offering their various charms who seem to have misplaced their clothes. Most of these seem to originate from a site called Activity Scanner in France.

I have added rules to Mail to prevent these, but of course each and every time they use a slightly different name and email address to circumvent my blocking attempts.

Any suggestions please?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Harry:

I'm not sure, but I think if you go ahead and log on to the FaceBook account, you can then turn it off so you're not bothered by it. I can't offer any advice about the "young ladies" trying to entice you other than maybe changing your email account. And that usually winds up being more trouble than it's worth.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wish I could help Harry.:) Sounds very similar to an e-mail spam problem. Lord I wish I could figure out an effective way to get rid of spam from my multiple e-mail accounts…without deactivating the accounts & starting new.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
A little help please.

Since the OS X.9.2 update, I have a FaceTime application which I cannot delete and each and every morning on booting I get a log in to Facebook Account window. I do not have a Facebook account however I think my youngest son does and he has been with me since the passing of my wife and using my ADSL network.

Now, daily I am being bombarded with dozens of messages from desperate young ladies offering their various charms who seem to have misplaced their clothes. Most of these seem to originate from a site called Activity Scanner in France.

I have added rules to Mail to prevent these, but of course each and every time they use a slightly different name and email address to circumvent my blocking attempts.

Any suggestions please?

Im confused Harry. Your talking Facebook ?? As in the first line its FaceTime and 2nd Facebook ?? If so what Application exactly are you talking about that pops up ??
Then you talk about Mail ?? So where are these messages coming from, the FB App, or Mail ?
Im sure there is a Terminal way of deleting a Specific App, but if you are getting it into your Trash Folder, then use Secure Empty Trash and it should make it disappear. This is how i delete those odd files that won't go no matter how much you try.

As to Spam look below as i answer Nick

Wish I could help Harry.:) Sounds very similar to an e-mail spam problem. Lord I wish I could figure out an effective way to get rid of spam from my multiple e-mail accounts…without deactivating the accounts & starting new.

- Nick

Nick, I might just have a answer to your problem. I found Spam Sieve by C Command Software.
This thing is amazingly accurate. You can train it, as well as setting a accuracy %. I have mine set on 81% and seems to get what i want it too. It integrates with your Contacts as well as thiose in your Email Contacts.
There is a Free trial, but I went and bought it, once I found out how good this thing is.
There are always updates, and improvements to it. The Dev has done well on this one. The best $ I have spent in a while, and as David Pouge says,my In box is clean, baby, clean!
“SpamSieve is just incredibly, amazingly accurate; my In box is clean, baby, clean!”
David Pogue, The New York Times

Hope that helps you on your quest to no Spam :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I might just have a answer to your problem. I found Spam Sieve by C Command Software.
This thing is amazingly accurate. You can train it, as well as setting a accuracy %. I have mine set on 81% and seems to get what i want it too. It integrates with your Contacts as well as thiose in your Email Contacts.
There is a Free trial, but I went and bought it, once I found out how good this thing is.
There are always updates, and improvements to it. The Dev has done well on this one. The best $ I have spent in a while, and as David Pouge says,my In box is clean, baby, clean!

Hope that helps you on your quest to no Spam :)

I may have to look into this.:) It's not just my e-mail inbox's that are the issue…it's also my spam folders. I would ideally…want a solution that would somehow block the spam from ever entering my "e-mail world".

Maybe this is unrealistic…given how the spammers (just like most "bad guys")…are usually one to two steps ahead of the "good guys".;) But the fact that there are frequent updates…probably makes this a better solution than most. And of course…if this is a "pay for" solution ($$)…it better be better!;)

Thanks a bunch,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I may have to look into this.:) It's not just my e-mail inbox's that are the issue…it's also my spam folders. I would ideally…want a solution that would somehow block the spam from ever entering my "e-mail world".

Maybe this is unrealistic…given how the spammers (just like most "bad guys")…are usually one to two steps ahead of the "good guys".;) But the fact that there are frequent updates…probably makes this a better solution than most. And of course…if this is a "pay for" solution ($$)…it better be better!;)

Thanks a bunch,:)

- Nick

I think No-Spam = No Enter is a impossibility in this day and age. I have done well keeping mine down, but this is worth the $, and as I said, you train it, add rules, via the Block List window, which can cover a wide range of URL's and you can add what you want.
I also have found I get a better job at 81% on there spammy metre and works well. Too well, in some cases, but then I just train it as good, and I'm right to go.
Also its a 1 click empty spam folder as well, so that makes cleaning so much easier.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
harryb2448
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe I worded it wrongly Brent ~ not familiar with this social media business.

When I boot, and since installing OS X.9.2, a window opens asking me to log in to Face Time, email address and password yet I have never used Face Time
Is it something new?

I believe the emails are being generated from a Face Book account and I have never opened such an account and that is why I suspect my son used my ADSL for Face Book and my email address has been picked up.

I shall open an account and look to see if I can block emails.

C

chas_m

You seriously, SERIOUSLY need to set up this kid with either his own computer or at least his own account!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.