iPad can see iMac but iMac can't see iPad

Reaction score
My daughter's iPad can see my iMac but my iMac can't see her iPad using iCloud. They are using the same apple id. Is there some way I can get my iMac to see her iPad? Even if it is plugged into the iMac I can't see it in iCloud.

OP
J
Reaction score
The answer was in apple support, after doing a little digging

If you are using iOS 7:
Double-click the Home button to see preview screens of the apps that you have open. Swipe the Safari screen up and out of the way.
Press the Home button.
Open Safari again.
iCloud: Troubleshooting iCloud Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 500GB i7
Swiped screens

In your March 4, 2014 post, you wrote:

If you are using iOS 7:
Double-click the Home button to see preview screens of the apps that you have open. Swipe the Safari screen up and out of the way. (my text mods.)
Press the Home button.
Open Safari again.
iCloud: Troubleshooting iCloud Mail

...about those swiped screens...where do they go when they leave the display? Are they kept or cached anywhere? Can they be found again?

Thanks, and respectfully,
Shevrolay:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
In your March 4, 2014 post, you wrote:

...about those swiped screens...where do they go when they leave the display? Are they kept or cached anywhere? Can they be found again?

Thanks, and respectfully,
Shevrolay:)

That effectively closes your background apps. iProducts have stuff happening in the background, things you dont know about and things you just got finished using. Things being.. apps you use all the time like safari, angry birds, netflix, etc.. and other things that run the phone it self youll never have to concern yourself with.

By swiping the screens away you are basically "hitting X". This stops all processes of the app from happening and clears up a little bit of the memory the app was using on the phone.

to answer your ?.
-they are closed and you will open them again when you tap the app icon
-they are running/kept active in the background until you swipe them up and away,, safari will keep your browser history unless you changed settings to tell it not to but they wont come back in the way you left them (by hitting the home button and closing them) they
-not in the same state as you left them running, you can navigate the app to the point you swiped it away, but you will start the app anew when you tap the icon

hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 500GB i7
Thanks for your response, Ttaylor394. You helped me understand more about the swiped screens.

I'm assuming this applies to both the iPhone and iPad, since they both have this same feature.

Much obliged,
Shev

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
Anyone figure the first question from the OP? My MBP can't connect/see/or stay connected to any of my iDevices when I try to sync or use cloud. but the devices can see and are available to the MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 @ 3.5 GHz
My daughter's iPad can see my iMac but my iMac can't see her iPad using iCloud. They are using the same apple id. Is there some way I can get my iMac to see her iPad? Even if it is plugged into the iMac I can't see it in iCloud.

There are settings in the Mac in System Prefs. and iTunes. Plug in the iPad and in iTunes, enable WiFi.In Users and Groups check that the ID is the same. In Sys Prefs/Cloud, check the items you want to sync.

A misconception may be in progress here. You are basically syncing documents, including photos and a lot of other things. Be sure you want to do this. Are you sure you want your daughter and you to see all the same email and listen to the same music, and look at the same photos?

Your daughter should have her own ID and have access to her own stuff, as should you. You can easily share what you want without syncing everything.

Remember, both devices are looking at what is shared in the cloud. They are not looking at what is stored on each device.

If you find that you get too much coming in that you don't want, go to the settings and stop syncing those things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.