I'm having trouble excluding iPhoto from a zip backup

Reaction score
I'm backing-up my son's MacBook Pro and I've been able to zip all of his data, but the resulting zip file is very, very large. I'd like to exclude iPhoto from the backup, but cannot figure out the correct sequence of characters to get the exclude to work. The beginning part of the command works: zip -r -v -9 Backups/KevDocs00 Pictures/*

It's the extra piece of the command I cannot figure out. I've tried:

1. -x”*/Pictures/iPhoto Library/”
  2. -x"/Pictures/iPhoto Library/*”
  3. -x"Pictures/iPhoto Library/*”
  4. -x”*/Users/username/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/”
  5. -x”*/\Users/username/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/”
  6. -x”/Users/username/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/*”
  7. -x”*/\Users/username/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/”

HELP!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's the matter with using Time Machine and just exclude the iPhoto library?

OP
John Greer
Reaction score
What's the matter with using Time Machine and just exclude the iPhoto library?
My Son's Time Machine allows me to view the drive I'm using for my Time Machine backup, but it will not let me select it for his Time Machine backup.

Can I get three Mac's to use the same drive or do I need to partition it into three pieces?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can I get three Mac's to use the same drive or do I need to partition it into three pieces?

You would need to keep the backups separate from each other in order to avoid confusion and possibly overwriting a backup with the wrong one. Ideally, it's best to use three external drives but you can certainly partition the drive and do the same thing as long as the drive is large enough. Name the partitions so you can easily identify them and associate them with the Mac that's backing up to it.

OP
John Greer
Reaction score
I was able to run this
Code:
mkdir /Volumes/DadUSB
mount -t afp afp://Greer-iMac.local/Backup2048 /Volumes/DadUSB
to get my iMac visible to my sons MacBookPro's TimeFinders. All three systems are now backing up to my 2TB USB drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.