12" PowerBook or 14" iBook

Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time deciding between the two. I've been looking online at prices and I can get both of them for essentially the same price, so thats not really a factor.

I guess I should tell you what I'm going to be using the computer for...I'm a college student so I'll be taking the computer to class and the library sometimes, using iTunes alot, probably a good bit of GarageBand and maybe be playing the occasional game.

So, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
The iBook and 12" PowerBook is one of the worst trade-offs I've seen. Aside from slightly higher quality audio and a processor difference that is only minimal, the price difference really doesn't justify the upgrade.

OP
J
Reaction score
to_tough_to_die said:
The iBook and 12" PowerBook is one of the worst trade-offs I've seen. Aside from slightly higher quality audio and a processor difference that is only minimal, the price difference really doesn't justify the upgrade.

Well, thats my point, I can get a new iBook 14" for $1215 and a new PowerBook 12" for $1269, so the price different is really negligable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
juventusfc99 said:
Well, thats my point, I can get a new iBook 14" for $1215 and a new PowerBook 12" for $1269, so the price different is really negligable.

Woops, my bad. Thought you were talking 12" iBook to 12" PowerBook.

Anyway, just go for the iBook. The larger screen space and more durable design are worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The iBook is a far better buy, and I'd rather have the durable design, extra screen space and battery life than a slightly better video card.

E

ek3than

i agree with discerptor. the ibook will be much better if you are travelling a lot with it to and from school. I bought a powerbook because i wanted the faster processor, bigger hard drive and better video card. big mistake for a middle school student. i have quite a few dents in my computer now, and i probably would be well off with an ibook.

D

DigitalN.

Im gonna have to disagree, I made a huge, terrible decision buying the iBook 14" over the Powerbook. the closed lid mode, the panning without a hack, and all that stuff.

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
DigitalN. said:
Im gonna have to disagree, I made a huge, terrible decision buying the iBook 14" over the Powerbook. the closed lid mode, the panning without a hack, and all that stuff.

I have got both machines and rarrly use the ibook. If you spend money on your computer and cant look after it whose faults taht?

anyway

which powerbook are you reffering to? and which 14?

powerbook stylish
better graphics
can extend desktop
faster procesor
faster bus speed
great keyboard
get choice of faster hardrive
can have dvd burner built in
also sceen is a load better then 14" period

14" robust
good wifi reception
good battery
screen is dull
no extra resolurion
characters are slighty blurred
also awkward size
Keyboard is pants
battery is about 30 mins more thn my 12" powerbook

Reaction score
I just picked up my brand spankin new 12in PB this past week @ the new NJ store and this machine Im in love with.....I think I've slept 3 hours since I got this last week....oh and the video ipod goes great with it......GET THE POWERBOOK!!!!!!

Reaction score
Try going in to an applestore and checking them both out. I dont really see the point of the 14" iBook though, it's has a physically bigger screen but same resolution as the 12"ers, so you will have exactly the same "screen space" as on the 12" powerbook as you will on the 14" iBook.

Also, as apple_power said, you just need to look after your laptop, get a neoprene sleeve for it, unless you actually intend to abuse your laptop by throwing it around etc then there is no difference between the ibook and powerbook.

I have a 12" powerbook and I take it to university with me everyday and its great!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input people. I actually did go to an Apple Store the other day and test drive both of them. I think I'm leaning towards the PowerBook...the bigger HD, faster processor and bus, and extra ports, etc, are more important that another 2" of screen space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dont forget that it comes with a dvd burner standard and the graphics card you will aprreciate also.

Other plus points it is slick, and tiny in comparison also the sound is a lot bettter then the tinny speakers on the 14" ibook.
Dont forget that you can also span to another screen, and you can leave the lid closed and it will still run, good if you downloading or uploading.

I would reccomend an iskin keyboard cover as that will protect your laptop.
Build quality is a lot better teh ibbok just craeks and the dmmaed battery in all my ibbos 12" and 14" do not sit flush. look around the edge of the ibooka nd see if it is awell fit. Or if teh plastic bends and is well put together? I have 6 ibooks and they are prett similar. All my powerbooks are well put together. You pay for what you get it is as simple as that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
ive got a 12" PB so guess what id recommend :p

the quality and extras over the iBook won me over

Reaction score
If you're going to be taking it anywhere then i'd get the powerbook. My 14 ibook is just a little too heavy for everyday use.

Even with a smaller screen you can hook it up to a bigger monitor at home and get the best of both worlds. If you are happy with the ibook's specs then get the 12 inch iBook and spend the rest on a widescreen monitor for your home desk, my ibook looks great next to a 19 inch widescreen lcd.

OP
J
Reaction score
apple_power said:
Dont forget that it comes with a dvd burner standard and the graphics card you will aprreciate also.

Other plus points it is slick, and tiny in comparison also the sound is a lot bettter then the tinny speakers on the 14" ibook.
Dont forget that you can also span to another screen, and you can leave the lid closed and it will still run, good if you downloading or uploading.

I would reccomend an iskin keyboard cover as that will protect your laptop.
Build quality is a lot better teh ibbok just craeks and the dmmaed battery in all my ibbos 12" and 14" do not sit flush. look around the edge of the ibooka nd see if it is awell fit. Or if teh plastic bends and is well put together? I have 6 ibooks and they are prett similar. All my powerbooks are well put together. You pay for what you get it is as simple as that.

How would that work if I hooked the PB up to a 17" CRT that I have?

Reaction score
Discerptor said:
The iBook is a far better buy, and I'd rather have the durable design, extra screen space and battery life than a slightly better video card.

You don't really get any extra screen space, it is the same resolution so it really doesn't 'hold' more, it just makes everything bigger.

I would go PowerBook.

F

ForeverG5

I have to say the PowerBook actually because it has a faster processor, sharper screen and hotter look to it. You'll enjoy the 12" size more anyway. Good luck with your choice.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok I think I've decided to go with the 12" PowerBook. Now I have a question about buying it. I've been looking on www.pricegrabber.com and some of those stores have the PB for like $200 less than the Apple store.
They say:
This product is brand new and comes complete with all manufacturer supplied accessories. USA warranty IS included.

So what's the catch with that, anybody?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
juventusfc99 said:
Ok I think I've decided to go with the 12" PowerBook. Now I have a question about buying it. I've been looking on www.pricegrabber.com and some of those stores have the PB for like $200 less than the Apple store.
They say:
This product is brand new and comes complete with all manufacturer supplied accessories. USA warranty IS included.

So what's the catch with that, anybody?

Have you tried an apple refurb, they are practically like new and get same guarrentte and you can save a small fortune.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.