Maverick 10.9.2 Not Allowing Static IP

Reaction score
Hello,

Since going to 10.9.2, I have not been able to get a static IP (192.168.1.6) on my Mac. Only DHCP seems to work? I use WiFi through my Mac to a AP and then to my router and out. Router is set to the following,

Linksys Router (BEFSR41 V3)
Local DHCP Server enabled
DHCP address range 192.168.1.40 - 192.168.1.189

Thanks JR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I am confused by your sentence " I have not been able to get a static IP .... "
You do not GET a static IP, you SET a static IP.
Do you mean that your router is giving out IP addresses but your Mac does not get any ?

If you want to set a static IP address to your Mac, you can do that in System preferences / Network / < choose your network adapter > / TCP/IP and select Manual instead of DHCP.
Then type your IP address, a correct subnet mask and the correct gateway.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
G
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for the reply. My apologies. I meant to say, DHCP works fine, and when I have the Mac set to DHCP, I can access the internet. But as soon as I set to a static IP (192.168.1.6) as how you mentioned through preferences, I loose internet access. The subnet and gateway are correct in preferences? This only seems to be after I updated to 10.9.2?

Thanks JR

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have asked. It should not make a difference that the DHCP address range 192.168.1.40 - 192.168.1.189, correct. Setting to a static IP at 192.168.1.6 should work not being in the DHCP range.

Thanks JR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
gas power you do not 'set' the address in preferences. This is done automatically when you first set up your Network using 192.168.1.6 with your web browser to make the setting, security, WiFi etc.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hello harryb2448,

I do thank you for the reply. But if I want to mac my Mac to use a static IP instead of DHCP, it is configured through preferences and the adapter then to the tcp/ip tab. There you change it from either to obtain from DHCP or give the computer a static ip address. Once I give my Mac a static IP, it looses the internet. I go back to DHCP, I get the internet back?

Thanks JR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you have set a static IP address in your mac and you are positive that the subnet is correct and the gateway is set to your linksys router in your mac, you might try the following:

Going into the linksys router and making a reservation. You can do this by entering the MAC address of your computer's wireless network adapter then set the ip address. This should force the linksys router to hold the ip address for your mac.

I am assuming the Access Point is not the problem, which it shouldn't be.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Reaction score
Resolved? Same problem.

Don't know if this thread was resolved, but I think I am having the same problem. I am familiar with setting up static IPs, I've done many. Now, using OS X 10.9.2, when I set up a static IP I lose internet access. The network settings show my mac is connected to the wireless router. I can log into the router and it lists the computer as an attached device with the IP address I specified. But I cannot access the internet. I created an address reservation for it in the the router and it did not change anything.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are 4 parts to the IP address game that need to be addressed before you can access the internet. The first is the IP address that each device gets, the second is the netmask to ensure that you are in the right subnet, the third is the gateway to which all of your packets are routed and the fourth is the DNS that does the name => IP address conversion for you.

When you use DHCP, all 4 pieces of information are sent to your machine and configured. If you switch to static IP on your machine alone, you have set all 4 pieces of information AND you have to go into the router and specifically exclude that static IP or a range of them from the possible IP addresses that could be given out by the DHCP server.

To that end, what you should do to set a static IP address is NOT to do it on the end device, but rather at the router end. You go into the DHCP server and used a fixed (from the DHCP servers perspective) address for a specific device based on it's MAC (not to be confused with Mac) address which is globally unique.

So in the DHCP server/router you say device with MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx always gets IP address 192.168.1.6.

The DHCP server will now hand out a fixed IP address, but also the other 3 pieces of information as well to ensure your network/Internet connectivity continues to work..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I agree with Raz0rEdge. It would be easier to set up the router with an IP reservation for the MAC address of the computer. Leave the computer set to use DHCP and then the router will assign the reserved IP to it.

The only time I ever set a static IP on anything is if it is absolutely necessary. Examples would be a printers, a server, a router, or a switch. Basically on resources that everyone will be sharing especially if it is wireless.

As to setting it at the computer you will have to input the IP address, subnet, and gateway. Usually the gateway will have the DNS server addresses but that can also be set at the computer and usually there are at least two DNS servers in case one is down.

But I still say let the router (if this is a home setup) or server (if you have a dedicated server) do all the reserving and leave the computer on DHCP if you really must have a static IP.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Ashwin and Lisa already explained the correct way of setting static IPs on your network, I just wanted to reassure the OP and hyperinert that, if configured correctly, upgrading to Mavericks does not, in any way, disrupt the network (of course!): all my devices, and there are quite a few, have static IPs and nothing changed since both MBPro and MBAir were updated.

Reaction score
I was experiencing this same issue on Mavericks 10.9.4. What resolved it for me was to click on the "DNS" tab, and add the following DNS entries (to use Google DNS):

Once I applied this, internet connectivity was restored.

Eric

Hello,

Since going to 10.9.2, I have not been able to get a static IP (192.168.1.6) on my Mac. Only DHCP seems to work? I use WiFi through my Mac to a AP and then to my router and out. Router is set to the following,

Linksys Router (BEFSR41 V3)
Local DHCP Server enabled
DHCP address range 192.168.1.40 - 192.168.1.189

Thanks JR

Reaction score
Thank you ecoolman. I was experiencing the exact same problem and making those entries in the DNS tab resolved my problem. Thanks again.

Rich

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.