SD card slot shows disk, but not contents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I recently bought a SD card drive that holds a mcro sd card. I moved a bunch of files on to it, but sometimes, it can't be found by the computer. I open it up and there is nothing in it. After I restart the computer and remove and replace the card, it works. Any ideas why this is happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - just a few questions that might help others respond: 1) Brand/model of the SD/Micro SD card; 2) How was the micro SD card formatted (e.g. by a camera, your laptop, etc.); 3) Do other standard SD cards work in the slot; and 4) Have you tried the micro SD card on another computer?

Finally if these files are important, make sure you back them up elsewhere - you may have to re-format the card? Good luck - Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
Hello - just a few questions that might help others respond: 1) Brand/model of the SD/Micro SD card; 2) How was the micro SD card formatted (e.g. by a camera, your laptop, etc.); 3) Do other standard SD cards work in the slot; and 4) Have you tried the micro SD card on another computer?

Finally if these files are important, make sure you back them up elsewhere - you may have to re-format the card? Good luck - Dave :)

The reader is this Simple, Seamless Storage For Your MacBook | The Nifty MiniDrive and I have a sandisk micro sd in it. When I put it in the computer the first time, it formatted it for me. I haven't tried any other cards and no I haven't tried it on another computer. I do have it backed up to a hard drive at home, though. I wonder if its the reader that I got because its a new product and may not be perfected yet? I just removed and replaced it and now it's working - I didn't have to restart the computer.

Reaction score
I think he's trying to determine what kind of mini sd card it is. Some of the newer, high density cards may not work in the drive/reader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have had great luck with SanDisk adapter and readers for Micro SD's but all bets are off on high capacities on MacBook Pros older the 2012.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same here with a SanDisk Micro SD adapter, however, I have not tried it with a fast high capacity Micro SD. I believe my 2013 iMac would read it OK since it does read a normal size fast high capacity SD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.