little green mouse light not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Magic cordless mouse, 1 and a half years old. Have you noticed that little light that blinks when it's turned over? Mine no longer works (the light). What is the significance of that light? I will be upfront and say I treat mice very roughly and quite frankly can't believe it still works and it's been the longest lasting mouse ever that I've had. So anyway, I assume a physical shock killed that light and I am just curious as to what it does because the mouse seems to operate OK.

Reaction score
The light indicates the batteries are still good. No light, check the batteries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Magic cordless mouse, 1 and a half years old. Have you noticed that little light that blinks when it's turned over? Mine no longer works (the light). What is the significance of that light? I will be upfront and say I treat mice very roughly and quite frankly can't believe it still works and it's been the longest lasting mouse ever that I've had. So anyway, I assume a physical shock killed that light and I am just curious as to what it does because the mouse seems to operate OK.

Please check this Apple Support Article - there is an on-off switch (on when the green is showing on the switch - see attached pic); the status of the green light (blue arrow): 1) When on and steady - the mouse has good batteries, the switch is on, and the mouse has 'paired' w/ the computer; 2) When blinking - the mouse is trying to 'pair' w/ the computer via Bluetooth; and 3) If not on (w/ the switch on), the batteries need replacement. Also, improper positioning of the cover will affect the light - hope this helps. Dave :)

lasertracking.jpg

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see, just an indicator light. It probably doesn't work because I slammed it once too often.O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I see, just an indicator light. It probably doesn't work because I slammed it once too often.O:)

Yes, that's what I suspect, i.e. if your mouse is working and the light is off, then you've likely destroyed the LED or it has just stop functioning - ;) Dave

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually held together with scotch tape! The top has separated from the bottom and the battery door won't fit anymore because the black plastic 'rails' came unglued from the back. It's really remarkable it still works and nothing short of running over it with a truck will ruin it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.