Backing up iPhoto library prior to new update

Reaction score
Hi,

I just updated my software on my iMac, and then upgraded my iPhoto. My photos are "unreadable" until I upgrade he program, but I'd like to backup to an external hard drive first.

My Geek Squad husband is at work, so if you could tell me how to access the library to back it up while it's in limbo, I'd appreciate it. Duplicate it? I'd love step-by-step so I can impress him when he gets home ;)

Thanks so much. I've got thousands of pics on there and I'd be crushed if they were gone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If all you want to do is make a backup of the photos contained in iPhoto, you can copy the iPhoto library to an external hard drive or to a flash drive if it's large enough.

Click on the Finder. Your iPhoto library containing all your photos is here:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

And: Please do not post your question twice in different forums. That's known as cross posting.

I've removed your other post.

OP
P
Reaction score
If all you want to do is make a backup of the photos contained in iPhoto, you can copy the iPhoto library to an external hard drive or to a flash drive if it's large enough.

Click on the Finder. Your iPhoto library containing all your photos is here:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

And: Please do not post your question twice in different forums. That's known as cross posting.

I've removed your other post.

Thanks sooooo much for removing my other post. I'm sure the OS X people would be cruising the newbie page and just plain outraged by my "cross posting" offense.

I got the system preferences open, but the external hard drive I have will not work unless I erase it's contents. That's dumb. My husband is bringing home a new one to use. Hopefully that will work being that I cannot open the iPhoto library.

And no, I still cannot open the iPhoto library in the finder.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I double click on my iPhoto library while using the Finder, it opens iPhoto and displays my photos. Are you saying that you can not do that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.