imac duo2 stuck on gray screen.

Reaction score
my imac duo 2 stuck on gray screen at boot.will make boot noise. freezes on apple logo.its late 2006 last 3 in sn vux.ihave 3 leds on at boot.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Given the amount of info given…my best guess is a failing hard drive, or a full hard drive.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
stuck on gray

i switched the hard drive with my old one that was working.no change.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you provide us with a bit more info?

Like when was the last time this computer worked 100%…and what has happened since that time that could have caused the issue?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
i think i updated java to 7.did a search couldn,t find any matches. the old drive would not have updated. i tried to reinstall snow leopard off cd.won,t load off cd. could boot loader be screwed?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think i updated java to 7.did a search couldn,t find any matches. the old drive would not have updated. i tried to reinstall snow leopard off cd.won,t load off cd. could boot loader be screwed?

Thanks for that info. Also…are you saying that this computer worked fine recently (one of the questions asked but not answered)?

Since Snow Leopard was mentioned...is Snow Leopard (10.6.x) the OS version that this computer is currently running?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it last worked 2 weeks ago. it is running snow leopard.

Thanks for the info. So what happened 2 weeks ago that required the attempted Snow Leopard reinstall?

One thing to try is a NVRAM/PRAM reset:

About NVRAM and PRAM

If a PRAM reset doesn't help…then t think what I would do is (to eliminate the problem being a hardware issue)…is use a hard drive that you don't mind reformatting…then do a fresh install of Snow Leopard onto it.

If the iMac still does not work using an operational HD (with ONLY a fresh install of Snow Leopard on it)…then I would suspect some sort of hardware issue beyond the HD itself.

If the computer works fine with this setup…then I would suspect something software related is wrong with the original HD (such as files missing/corrupt).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.