Software Update problem?

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
Yes, upgrading (for free) to Mavericks would be the simpler solution but the reason I don't want to is I've read that Adobe CS5 applications have problems running properly with Mavericks and I can't risk having Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator not working as they should.

Going to go the 'buy my own copy of ML with my own Apple ID' route and do a clean install over the previous user's currently installed copy of ML.

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
I restarted my Mac whilst holding the Option key down and I see two hard drive icons: the one on the left is called Macintosh HD (with a small upward pointing arrow underneath), the right hand icon is called Recovery 10.8.2.

I am then asked for my wireless network password to get connected.

Once connected wirelessly, if I click on the Macintosh HD icon, I get the white/pale grey start up screen with the darker grey Apple logo and get taken back to my 'normal' desktop and the Mac is ready to be used as if I restarted normally (no pressing of the Option key).

If I click on the Recovery 10.8.2 icon, I get the white start up screen, which changes to a dark grey textured background and a window appears. I choose Disc Utility from that window, highlight the Toshiba HD (showing top left of the window's side bar), click the erase tab, choose Mac OS Extended Journalled, choose a name (I chose Macintosh HD) then I choose the number of overwrite passes. When I press the 'erase' button I get the following window/message: Secure Disc Erase failed. Secure Disc Erase failed with error: couldn't unmount disc.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
This is a bit long winded, for which I apologies, but I want to make sure I've included all details.

Bit of background:

I need to reinstall the original OS that came installed on my Mac Mini because the Apple Store app has been deleted and without it I cannot get Software Updates: the Apple Store app is an integral part of the OS and cannot be downloaded separately.

The previous owner upgraded to Mountain Lion under their Apple ID so I cannot reinstall from the recovery HD as my Apple ID doesn't match the installed OS. I have been advised to completely erase the Mac using the Disk Utility in OS X Recovery which will install the factory installed OS (Lion) without the need for an Apple ID. Once Lion is installed I will then buy/install my own copy of Mountain Lion under my own Apple ID (I don't want Mavericks as there is conflict with some Adobe CS5 apps that I need).

So, I attempted to perform the erase: option-r on restart > Disc Utility > highlight the Toshiba HD showing top left of the window's side bar > click the erase tab > choose Mac OS Extended Journalled > choose a name (I chose Macintosh HD) then choose the number of security overwrite passes. When I press the 'erase' button I get the following window/message: 'Secure Disc Erase failed. Secure Disc Erase failed with error: couldn't unmount disc'.

So I tried again, but by mistake clicked on the Macintosh HD in the left hand side window of Disc Utilities rather than the Toshiba drive shown above it. As a result, I think I've erased the recovery partition (previously it showed as 10.8.2). Now, when I restart the Mac normally without any keys pressed at start up, I don't see my desktop/files/apps etc. (presumably because i've deleted the Macintosh HD) but get the OSX Utilities window showing the following options:

Restore from time machine back up.
Reinstall OS X (which I cannot do as the copy of OS X Mountain Lion is linked to the previous owner's Apple ID).
Get help online.
Disc Utility.

How can I get back to OS X Lion (the OS that was originally factory installed on this Mac) so I can then buy/upgrade to Mountain Lion?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A screen shot would help, however, I suspect you're trying to erase the entire drive which also includes your Recovery partition. The system rightly tells you that it can't unmount the drive (because you're using it!).

Select the bottom part of the Toshiba drive which should be named "Macintosh HD" and select erase. See if that works and let us know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Pod:

No need to start another thread when this is clearly associated with what you've been posting for the last two days. Posts have been combined together here. Continue with the same thread.

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
Apologies for the duplicate thread: posted as I felt the problem now is different from the original question about the missing Apple store App and software update problem.

''Select the bottom part of the Toshiba drive which should be named "Macintosh HD" and select erase. See if that works and let us know.''

^ Just done that. It seemed to work, the 'erasing volume' blue bar moved to completion. If anyone can advise what the next step is please...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.