Macbook Pro 13" 2010 Charging issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz Quad Core i7 Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15" Retina, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Hello again,

Recently my Macbook Pro has been have weird problems with the battery. It started last week when my laptop just stopped charging. I could not get it to charge no matter what. When it happened, I felt a little shock near the palm rest of the Macbook. At first I thought it was the charger so I bought a new one, however that didn't work at all.

I did notice before the laptop completely died that it said to replace the battery soon, so I figured it was battery. I bought the battery and it came in a day before a tri wing screwdriver did, so I couldn't take out the old battery yet, so I decided to try connecting the new battery without being screwed in.

I connected the battery and the charger, and it didn't work. I then tried a little later, and the charger was lit and seemed to be working. But then later I tried again, and it didn't work.

Then today, I got the tri wing screwdriver and put the new battery in place, and now even after resetting the SMC and PRAM and connecting and disconnecting again, I still cannot get the battery to charge. The only thing I can think of now is a Magsafe logic board replacement is necessary. What do you guys think because I am at a loss.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing I can think of now is a Magsafe logic board replacement is necessary. What do you guys think because I am at a loss.

It looks like you've exhausted what you can do other than changing out the MagSafe input board. New battery and new MagSafe Adapter Charger are not inexpensive, so do some shopping around for a new board. Here are some suggestions:

1. eBay

2. powerbookmedic (Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad)

3. iFixit (iFixit: The free repair manual)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz Quad Core i7 Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15" Retina, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Yeah, I have been quite ticked off this past week about my Macbook as I use it as my main computer. I found a good deal on a Magsafe board on eBay and that'll hopefully come soon. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I don't have a spudger tool so I disconnected and connected the batteries with my fingers, which I doubt did any damage, but I did invest in a spudger tool for when I put in the new board as I did see the iFixit guide. Fortunately I've done upgrades to my Macbook before so I know what to expect, but this'll be the biggest thing I do yet, and I REALLY hope this works, otherwise, I have no idea what to do. I usually try to avoid creating discussions and just look stuff up online and it works most of the time, but this issue has been driving me up a wall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.