Extended warranty

Reaction score
Probably been asked before but is the Apple extended warranty really worth it? I have always understood that the computers are very reliable so like so many of these extensions, is it really worth it?
Having asked that, is there anywhere one can get a cheaper extension? Appl are asking for £270 for the Mac Book Pro 15" Retina.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Probably been asked before...

Yes it has...many times.;)

...but is the Apple extended warranty really worth it? I have always understood that the computers are very reliable so like so many of these extensions, is it really worth it?

Apple computers can have problems too. Maybe less than the competition...but still...things can happen.

The best time to ask yourself if the extended Applecare is worth it...is when you have a problem. If you have the warranty...you "kiss the earth" in thanks. If you don't...and you need an expensive logic board replacement...you're not going to be a very happy camper.

Did you just purchase something...or about to? You automatically get 12 months of Applecare with the purchase. You have those 12 months to decide if you want to purchase the extended Applecare. But I believe that if you purchase extended Applecare within the first 30 days (or something like that)...you extend the phone support as well.

Extended Applecare is a personal choice. You may buy it & never need it. Just the way extended warranty's work.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably been asked before but is the Apple extended warranty really worth it? I have always understood that the computers are very reliable so like so many of these extensions, is it really worth it?

Yes, it's worth it when you need it. ;) My understanding is that your warranty laws differ in the UK from ours here in the US. If for example your standard warranty in the UK is longer than what Apple offers in the US (one year), then it may not be worth spending the extra £270.

Having asked that, is there anywhere one can get a cheaper extension? Apple are asking for £270 for the Mac Book Pro 15" Retina.

You'll need to shop around and check for discounts. I normally never buy my Apple Care direct from Apple because it is more costly. I buy it from an Apple dealer in NY and usually that saves me as much as 20% and sometimes more depending on the device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Well worth the investment. And if nothing else their tech support is awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Even Apple computers are electronic devices (even FREDs according to my son) and so are liable to problems. Hard drives and optical drives also give trouble from time to time, sometimes failing completely.

Well worth the three year peace of mind in my view.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just so you have one dissenting voice - I'm on the opposite side - don't believe in extended warranties - period. The only ones that make money off them are the ones that sell them - and is the reason they sell them.

Now I know some folks - primarily youngsters, and knowing how they take care of their stuff, I would recommend a warranty for a piece of electronics that would get carried around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
They can be good if you plan to keep it more than a year. It's gambling. It isn't an insurance policy or replacement/exchange program. Certain things related to defects from manufacturing are covered and Apple decides how to cover them. Just be aware of what you expect to get from your warranty. Banging a laptop around, spilling liquid in it or letting it cook in the sun aren't necessarily covered.

I quit buying them as I replace my computers every two years or so. Since I'm guaranteed to be out at least $1000 per computer every two years, I choose to pocket the money and buy a new one early if it dies between year 1 and 2. Since I use mine for work as well as play, I can sort of rationalize it all.

OP
C
Reaction score
Many thanks gentlemen. It's a conundrum as you say, if you have a problem, you need it, otherwise it's £270 down the drain.
Yes, quite agree with the very good phone backup! Just used it as the power unit was playing up a bit (always seems to?) and next day, new one here and in use! Brilliant!
My warranty expires this month and I really can't afford the money at the moment having just had to buy a new cooker so guess I'll have to take pot luck! Mind you, I do have very good home and contents insurance :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't count on it - if your home and contents insurance is like mine with a deductible - you'll be 100% out of pocket with pretty much any single piece of electronics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have had to use Apple Care on my last two MBP's on their 3rd year and the repair more than covered the cost of the insurance just a thought.
I would get it on any of the new ones without hesitation especially do to the fact of non user replaceable items.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Macworld Magazine had an article about whether or not you should purchase Apple Care. It appeared in one of their issues 2 or 3 months ago. In the article they stated that Apple Care should be purchased on portable items = MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, etc. But that you should forgo it on a desktop unit = iMac, Mini, Mac Pro.

I disagree with that article in part. It's impossible (unless you're a trained Apple tech) to work on the new 21.5" iMacs, and almost as bad with the new 27" iMac models. Perhaps the Mini and new Mac Pro are somewhat easier to work on, that I don't know.

Also, I had my 2011 iMac 21.5" model repaired under Apple Care which involved replacing the hard drive. That alone paid for my cost of the initial outlay for Apple Care. I even purchased the special Apple Care for my iPhone (which includes damage, spills, and so forth).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I have always been skeptical of any Extended Warranty, ever since I looked "under the hood" of one such agreement at the long departed Highland Appliance chain. Those "agreements" were simply profit generators.

I've made a huge exception when it comes to AppleCare. I am not tough on any of my technology products in the least, but after nearly 10 years and over a dozen Apple products for me and my family, I've found AppleCare saved my bacon many many times.

My advice: get AppleCare.

As a side note, a family in suburban Chicago was recently arrested for being behind a huge shoplifting ring: they'd go to stores and pull stuff off the shelves and slip out before anyone would catch them, and then sell the stuff on eBay. The name sounded familiar, and when I searched through my eBay purchases, sure enough, I had bought an AppleCare product from them several years ago at a huge discount. Now I know why it was so cheap.

I tell this story because, invariably, these discussions turn into "should I buy AppleCare from Apple or on eBay?" I've since gone to Apple or an Authorized reseller for the product.

Enjoy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tell this story because, invariably, these discussions turn into "should I buy AppleCare from Apple or on eBay?"

That should be a "no brainer". Definitely avoid purchasing Apple Care from eBay or Craig's list. Buy either from Apple or an authorized Apple reseller. I buy Apple Care from B&H Photo in NYC who are authorized Apple resellers. The only exception was for my iPhone which is only sold by Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
AppleCare is much dearer for the Retina model MBP with battery glued to lid, soldered memory etc and all of this may well mean it is a wise purchase. Shop around as some Apple Resellers seem to discount AppleCare. For example on 2012 iMac, AppleCare via Apple at time of purchase was $229, from a Reseller $169 so there must be a fair margin for the Reseller to trade with.

OP
C
Reaction score
After some research, and asking many questions of the seller, I just bought this:
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro 15" 17-inch Retina Display **NEW** | eBay

I asked how he could sell so cheaply - he buys in bulk from Apple. I also "made an offer" and finally got it for £175 which considering Apple ask £270 I think I got a good deal! Hope it works! Can't really lose out as eBay have a full refund guarantee in place.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I asked how he could sell so cheaply - he buys in bulk from Apple. I also "made an offer" and finally got it for £175 which considering Apple ask £270 I think I got a good deal! Hope it works! Can't really lose out as eBay have a full refund guarantee in place.

Unfortunately, you may not know that the registration number is valid until you have to use it. That has occurred before with eBay resellers who "buy in bulk". Not saying you were defrauded in any way, but you might want to check with Apple by registering your Apple Care and getting their acknowledgement that it's valid. Let us know.

OP
C
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you may not know that the registration number is valid until you have to use it. That has occurred before with eBay resellers who "buy in bulk". Not saying you were defrauded in any way, but you might want to check with Apple by registering your Apple Care and getting their acknowledgement that it's valid. Let us know.
Yes I intend to register it as soon as I receive it. The warranty is an extra two years after the first one year free one expires so does't matter that I still have a couple of months to run on the original. It is also for the Retina 15" and 17" so can't be that old.
I'll keep you posted.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, great to hear you received a genuine Apple Care registered extended warranty. I'm always leery of eBay sellers but of course there are those who are honest. Apparently you dealt with an honest seller. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.