WD MyBook - supplied with Torrents?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
Folks,

just bought a Caldigit dock, and a WD MyBook 4TB external disk to go with it.

I found that the WD MyBook contained a folder with two films in it, obviously Torrent download. I personally am not familiar with downloading films (movies), but it seems to me that they should not be on a fresh disk from the store. I suspect that this disc was not new... However, I could be wrong.

It says, eg, ' Torrent downloaded from ' h_ttp://w_ww.Demonoid.com*'. Weird that WD should supply such stuff as an extra..

Anyone else here have this kind of disk and found similar stuff on it?

Thymen

* added underscores to remove the hyperlink

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it back and complain big time. Sounds as if staff has been torrenting movies with stock hard drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
What harry said I have bought many of the WD's and outside of their Smartware they should be blank.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My guess is this hard external hard drive was purchased by someone, they used it for a while, returned it to the store, and the store put it back on the shelf for sale without checking it out first.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So no bonus material it is..

I performed the complete drive test from the WD Utilities, and it passed that test. There are no scratches etc. on the drive (the plastic cover protection was/is still on it), so I assume that it is ok. I already had it registered, it contains a lot of data, and it will cost me a lot of time to re-do everything.

However, I am going back to the store, and make a remark about it. I still want another of these drives, and I am going to suggest that they supply me a brand-new one at a refurbished price to compensate for the refurbished (?) one I paid the full price for...

I guess it was not intentional, so no grudge... but it should not have happened.

Thanks for the response,

Thymen

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Went back to the store, and returned with a brand new disk in a sealed package. Two actually, I bought another one for Time Machine.

I am going to return the 'bad' disk soon, after having retrieved all data from it, and erased it's contents, for a full refund. And in the meantime the disk got cheaper, so I saved 15 Euros as well.

Store admitted the mistake, offered solution and will report it to QC, so that's that as far as I am concerned.

Thymen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well a six pack of your fine Dutch Christoffel “Nobel” beer will hit the spot with the euros saved!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.