Does Image Capture's TIFF use LZW?

Reaction score
I understand that Apple's scanning program Image Capture uses compression with the TIFF format. What I can't seem to find documentation on is if that compression is lossless LZW (as I suspect). Does anyone know or know where this is spelled out? Thanks!

C

chas_m

I could test this for you if you'd like, but before I get out the scanner and hook it up and go through all that -- why not test it yourself? You can open the resulting TIFF in something like Graphic Converter and see if its using any compression or not ...

OP
J
Reaction score
Confirmed Compression

Hello, thanks for your suggestion. I hadn't been familiar with the program "GraphicConverter". I had looked in Photoshop but I hadn't seen that info. GraphicConverter, however, did the trick. Under "Window --> Information" it says:

"TIFF ®, Big-Endian, TIFF-LZW compression/Striped(200)/Non Planar"

Not sure why Apple can't just make that info easy to find. Either way, now I know.

Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.